Had a feeling of something lodged in my throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone after some advice,

I'm 21 years old been having a feeling like there is something lodged/stuck in my throat everything I eat! I am fine with fluids but scared to eat anything. When I am sleeping I feel like I'm choking and then I panic and get really scared.. Such a horrible feeling and I'm really fed up of it.. Even when i try and swallow my own moist in my mouth I feel like there's something stuck.. Even my mouth gets very dry!

Been to see two doctors, the one doctor took a look down my throat and said it all looks good and gave me some throat spray which hasn't helped.

Second doctor gave me some pep tac and took a look down my throat said my tonsils was a little englarged but not tonsillitis.. Got to go for bloods on Tuesday.. The feeling is really horrible and gets my scare of where I panic..

My mum had the same problem she had a camera down and was told there was nothing, then a hospital said stress in the throat..

Anyway can anyone give some advice? I'd really appreciate it

Thanks x

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

So do you have an issue with stomach acid? Too much acid and reflux can cause the esophagus to narrow and feel constricted. If so an acid blocker such as Previcid can help with it. They can also widen the esopagus so you don't have a problem swallowing food.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Craig, no I don't have stomach acid.. I've never been for a camera, or to a ENT my mum takes omeprazol tablets. When i swallow I can't feel myself swallow near my tonsil area. It's really hard to explain if I'm honest.. I'm fed up of feeling this way. I eat very little as I get scared, I do drink a lot of fluid though. Maybe I'm coming down with a cold or something cause I have a temperature. I hope I'll be on the mend soon. Thank you for replying
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Craig, I am pretty new to all of this as I just found out after 20+ years that I have acid reflux/GERD but didn't know it until a new Dr that I just started with recognized it. You can have it without feeling the burn.  I don't have the normal noticeable symptoms but was clued in by someone on these sites, that I may have something called LPR and she referred me to read an online book Down With Acid on this issue. Please look it up and let me know if you can relate to any of the symptoms? I feel like I have a ball stuck in my throat, to me it is like a fishing bobber it won't go up or down. Good luck 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl thank you for commenting smile

I will take a look at what you've said above.. It's a horrible feeling isn't it. I feel like life will never be the same again and it gets me scared, and I sometimes feel like no one is listening or even gets me sad my tonsils are enlarged and I've always suffered with tonsillitis since I was a child, I also have a temperature. If I'm honest I'm to scared to eat anything but I am drinking plenty of fluids. I do feel like I'm coming down with a cold cause I have a temp and feel tired. I do hope I feel better in myself very soon I have bloods being done on Tuesday. Hope everything is fine I hope theirs something simple to the way I'm feeling. I feel like I have hard job to swallow my own saliva in my mouth I don't know if that's due to the tonsils though sad

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, it feels like you have been abandoned when you feel no one is listening. Very scary feeling. I hope you find out something soon. 

When trying to swallow the saliva/mucus is too thick and sometimes I just have to spit it out. 

Feel better soom

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yea, I know the feeling. I am going in Monday to have my esophagus scoped. not looking forward to it at all. I have tiny pills that I take for blood pressure and one got stuck in my throat, so now I chew them. I also have thick saliva constant girgling after I swallow. It really sucks. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up