Had a new/ different onset/trigger of symptoms, any idea what this sounds like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've posted on here a few times before and it's been helpful so I'm trying again. I will start with background.

Im 30 years old and male 170 lbs and i have no known health issues other than my cardiologist diagnosed me with PVCs and PACs. I have been monitorer by my cardiologist for the past 2 years, have done a month long and two 48 hour heart monitors and event monitors. Stress test and heart ultrasound have been done as well. All with normal results aside from what the cardiologist said where PVC and PACs.

So what happens to me ( and this all just started about 3 years ago out of the blue) is that upon exercising or physical exertion i will have these attacks of racing heart, weakness, blurred vision, sense of impending doom, anxiety, and tingling of the extremities. They typically last 5-30 minutes. Also consumption of caffeine will now bring the attacks on as well. My dr placed me on beta blocker propranolol as needed and once daily calcium channel blocker diltiazem (cartia xt). I have never had issues through high school sports or college sports, even after college no issues until i was around 27 years of age.

So my question is about a new trigger of symptoms. I currently am on amoxicillin twice a day for 10 days due to strep throat infection. So today I woke up and took my amoxicillin, and was in the kitchen getting some breakfast ready when i coughed really hard due to my strep throat and i could feel alot of the congested stuff in my chest move up due to the cough, and with this cough it threw me into an attack immediately. I went tachycardic ( i counted about 130 bpm while sitting, and my normal baseline is 55-60 resting). I felt the weakness and the doom and the vision changes. It was a shorter lived attack and less severe than some, but I've never had one start due to a cough. The cough very obviously threw me into the attack and then while sitting down after about 3 minutes i could feel my heart immediately return to normal rhythm.

Does anyone know what this could be or why this may have occurred? (SVT...some other arrhythmia?)

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Infections add alot of stress to your system, keep taking the antibiotics.

Coughing as hard as you did, prorbably the cause of the arrhythmia, very happy for you that it returned to normal within a short time.

Just a little warning that I have learn't from my sister, a very senior nurse, if the arrhythmia stays for more than an hour for example get yourself to the hospital, preferabably by amulance, as apparantly these can cause clots to form in your heart, and the clot can be the cause of fatal result. 

Take note of James Hewitt, this mornings news, heart attack and stroke, question a clot in his heart went to his brain, more than possibile i'm afriad.

• Posted

This happens to me sometimes..when i am worn out, not enough sleep, or really stressed i can go into svt quite easily without the usual basketball induced method.

And yes they typically do not last as long when it comes on automatically.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.