Had a pain under my ribs for about 4 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I’ve had a ongoing pain under my left ribs for about 6 weeks now and it some times happens in my right ribs and allso lower back pain on and off and pain in kidney area and allso frequent urination I’ve always suffered with irregular bowl movements since being a young boy I’m waiting for blood results to come back but my doctor has reassured me she thinks they will be fine I’m wondering if anyone has any idea as I’m rather worried and can not stop thinking about it 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Has gastritis, urinary infections and IBS been considered?
    • Posted

Hi I’ve been tested for urinary infections and they were all clear I’ve never officially been diagnosed with IBS although I’ve allways thought I had it but where would the urinary part come from I’m so worried it could be colon cancer I know dramatic but still worrying 
    • Posted

Urinary tract problems can occur with IBS.The proximity of all these organs can cause this. If your doctor has reassured you, I would trust your doctor and do not worry.  Worry will make your symptoms considerably worse.  Try distraction techniques to keep your mind off your symptoms.
    • Posted

Sorry to message again but do you think there is a link between the frequent urination and the pains 
    • Posted

You can get frequent urination with IBS along with the abdominal pains.
  • Posted

Yes I’m a worrying person I have lost a bit of weight allso and appetite has been a bit of but I thought that could be down to the worry when I get to the bottom of it I’m going to make some big lifestyle changes I fear the unknown even the thought of a scan and receiving bad news scares the life out of me 
  • Posted

Can urinary problems relate to bowl problems and allso how long do you think theese on and off pains should last 
    • Posted

Urinary tract problems can be related to IBS which is bowel problem. The proximity of these organs can cause overlapping symptoms. Weight loss and loss of appetite can occur when you are worrying.  Pain under the ribs can be caused by gastritis.  It is possible you have either of these conditions or both.  With gastritis and IBS, everyone experiences it differently.  Some will have it constantly or on and off.  Periods of remission can occur. Length of flare ups is variable and will last longer when you are anxious and stressed.

Scans are your best bet to diagnose your problem.  However, if you have IBS, no scan or test will show it because the problem is functional.  The tests will only serve to rule out other causes.  If nothing shows up, IBS can be identified.

• Posted

You very helpful pippa I apriciate it can pain in my hips relate to either of theese problems I thought I had kidney problems for a while due to pain in the kidney area on both sides my partner said I am very young for these problems to be serious (26) although possible I think google is not a very helpful tool as a lot of my problems allso point to cancer of the colon which has my mind tuning away with its self there is no pain when I urinate and I only passed blood about 2 months ago once red blood I’m going for a abdomen ultra sound waiting for appointment ! Can blood results indicate serious problems and give a good insight 
    • Posted

At your age, bowel cancer would be very rare.  If your urinary tests were clear, it is unlikely to be a UTI.  Are you straining for a bowel movement or having diarrhoea? If you are, this can cause haemorrhoids or fissures which can produce bright red blood.  Don’t google your symptoms because it won’t help your anxiety.  Blood tests can detect all sorts of problems but I doubt your problems are serious if your doctor has reassured you that she thinks they will be fine.  Concentrate on what your doctor has told you.
  • Posted

You are very helpful pippa is Colon cancer the same as bowl cancer and yes I thought it was unlikely although allways I’m back of mind and no I don’t strain my movements vary I’ve allways had different movements and problems with my toilet only recently have the rib and back pain come on which is why it made me think they would surely allways accompany it and not just come on 
    • Posted

Your colon is another name for the bowel.  Ribcage and back pain is common with gastritis and bowel habit change, shifting abdominal pain and back pain are IBS symptoms.  Tell your doctor about the blood and ask to be checked for haemorrhoids and fissures.
  • Posted

Can you get ibs lain even when you have not eat like the pain under my rib is pretty constant from the min I wake up 
    • Posted

My IBS is triggered by stress and food does not affect it in any way. Some people find their IBS is triggered by food.  Everyone is different.

Pain under the ribs sounds more like gastritis if it is connected with eating. Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining which shows up on scans.  However, if the ribcage pain is not found to be GI related, it could be costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage in the ribcage area. 

It could be any one of these possibilities or all of them.; tests will help to rule things out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.