Had a pain under my ribs for about 4 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I’ve had a ongoing pain under my left ribs for about 6 weeks now and it some times happens in my right ribs and allso lower back pain on and off and pain in kidney area and allso frequent urination I’ve always suffered with irregular bowl movements since being a young boy I’m waiting for blood results to come back but my doctor has reassured me she thinks they will be fine I’m wondering if anyone has any idea as I’m rather worried and can not stop thinking about it 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just weighed myself lost 3lbs sinse yesterday 
    • Posted

Don’t weigh yourself or focus your mind on your weight because this will cause more anxiety and weight loss.   Not eating well will also cause your weight to drop.  Concentrate on doing things you enjoy.  Blood tests can show serious and non serious things.  However, your doctor is not worried about this so try to focus on non serious causes.  

You can also have tests such as ultrasounds and CTs so the doctor can see inside of you.

• Posted

Hi pippa had blood results back all very good just a little raised ALT and higher colestrol than normal 
    • Posted

What has your doctor suggested about these results? Does she think it has anything to do with your symptoms?
  • Posted

No not atall I only spoke to the doctors receptionist who advised my doctor checked them over this morning I’ve allways had raised alt as for cholesterol she said I could book a app with a nurse to get some advise on reducing I’m still slightly concerned but I’m thinking the blood test would generally show if there was anything sinister IE cancer going on 
    • Posted

Do not worry!  You said your blood tests came back all very good. This is very positive news.  Anything bad would have shown up, you would have been told about it and you would have been  referred for further tests to confirm it. This has not happened!  

You have always had slightly raised ALT so this is an already known issue.  Many people have raised cholesterol but they are given advice or medication to reduce it so this problem too is solvable!  You feared the unknown waiting for your test results.  Now you have answers and they are not anything as frightening as you expected.  The tests have told you what you do and don’t have.  At your age cancer would be rare, so put this out of your mind.  Your doctor told you she didn’t expect anything serious to show up in the blood tests and this has been proven to be correct.  Trust and believe your doctor and your test results.

You should be feeling relieved by this news. Try to relax because more worrying will increase your symptoms and cause more weight loss.

• Posted

I know you said don’t weight my self again but I did that’s 6lbs sinse Thursday now I’m thinking about got to ER today 
    • Posted

I strongly recommend that you don’t constantly weigh yourself! Hide your scales in an inaccessible place so you are not tempted to check your weight.  You are in the grip of such a state of worry that is causing your weight to drop. Constant anxiety causes weight loss. When you check your weight and see that it has dropped, the more you worry and you end up trapped in a vicious cycle of anxiety and panic.

You were worried about what your blood test would show but they came back very good and your doctor predicted they would not be concerning and she was right.  You have concrete proof that you have nothing to worry about.  There is no evidence there to support your concerns.   Trust and believe your doctor and your good test results!  You should be very, very relieved; you got the results you were desperately hoping for. 

Your anxiety is making your symptoms considerably worse and is stopping you from getting any relief from the reassurance you seek.  When you stop worrying, you will start to feel so much better.

• Posted

Thanks for you caring words I litterally hate google have you ever had really bad lower back pain with your ibs
    • Posted

I did have lower back pain in the first three monrhs of my IBS which didn't help my lower back injury!   It caused me to panic that I had a kidney infection. I fell into the Dr Google trap too and it really messed with my mind,

The lower pard of the colon wraps round your lower back and this is what can cause the pain with IBS.

• Posted

IBS can cause constipation and diarrhoea.  My IBS started with persistant constipation, constant stomach pain, followed by loose stools, back pain and nausea. I also had chronic health anxiety and no reassurance would cure it because no one could diagnose me.  However, once I was given my diagnosis, my anxiety cleared up and my symptoms got so much better and I now have long periods of remission because I decided to believe and trust my doctor and test results   If I had continued to worry, I would still be in the grip of my IBS.

Chronic anxiety can trigger IBS and the symptoms of IBS can also cause worry.

• Posted

I know I’m going to try my hardest to relax I’m usually a really really big eater not ate a proper thing for a little over a week now I just worry there could be a underlying issue blood test hadernt picked up ie cancer hence the weight and tiredness although I know that anxiety allso causes those things 
    • Posted

Stop worrying about your blood test results! Your doctor usually tests for serious problems first and nothing bad has shown up.  My brother who is a doctor told me when I was in the grip of severe health anxiety that serious problems tend to show up very early on in blood tests and scans.

Your were given good news and it gave you concrete proof you have nothing to worry about. Believe your doctor and your results!  Once again, cancer would be very, very rare at your age!

You have a concrete, valid reason for your tiredness and weight loss which is you have not been eating properly for a week.  If you reduce your food intake, you will lose weight!  I can lose half a stone in a week if I eat less or start worrying.  Unexplained tiredness and weight loss would be a red flag, but your tiredness and weight loss is explained by not eating properly and worrying!

Try to concentrate on things you enjoy to take your mind off your symptoms and anxiety. If you continue to worry, you will kerp losing weight and your abdominal symptoms will get much worse.  If you accept your doctor’s reassurances, trust your results and all the logical explanations you have been given, you will have a chance of feeling better.

You could also speak to your doctor about the intensity of your anxiety to get coping strategies to get it under control.  

• Posted

Im in the same situation and am curious what this turned out to be? Was it IBS? Or something else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.