Had a sinus cold and. Now ears pop when swallow

Posted , 2 users are following.

Was on antibiotics. Has a sinus inf. And cold now cleared but still have a cough. when I swallow i think i ear my ear tubes ooen and close again. Annoying, i tried blowing aor and wir opens but popping or whatever you dall it still occurs. The ent is basically useless. Noted last time retracted eardrum and well needs a lot of time? Any remedies? Ents refuse to give me mri scan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a sinis infection which started about 3 months ago. My ears used to pop all the time, I had a fullness in both ears and ringing ! I have only just got over it really. Thought it was because I was pregnant at the time but he is now 7 weeks old. Nothing worked for me. I think just having to sit it out was the best option. My mum had exactly the same at Christmas and that's what she told me to do ! Easier said than done. It was bloody annoying.

• Posted

The odds are overwhelming that you had a simple viral upper respiratory infection (URI), and that it was not even a little affected by the antibiotics you took.  URI's are caused by viruses and are extremely common.  Thus the expression, "the common cold." Antibiotics have no effect on viruses, only on bacteria.  Prescribing of antibiotics for viral URI's is the biggest waste and abuse of those drugs that is known.  It is estimated that 85% of the antibiotics prescribed in the USA are prescribed without proper indication.  (Often because patients insist on it.)

As for the opening and closing of your "ear tubes" (eustachian tubes) when you swallow, this is a normal thing.  The eustachian tubes stay closed all of the time, except when we swallow.  Two of the muscles of the soft palate, the salpingopharyngeus muscles, are attached to the eustachian tube, and swallowing includes contraction of those muscles, momentarily opening the eustachian tubes and equalizing pressure between the middle ears and the outside world.  A URI can cause swelling of the eustachian tubes (which open into the back of the nose, in the nasopharynx), which can accentuate the opening and closing of the tubes on swallowing.  Any such accentuation should resolve as the URI resolves, but the opening and closing will always be there, because it's normal.  You do NOT need an MRI!  

• Posted

Why do i hear the popping  everytime and why do i hear a buzzing like a washing machine sound? The washing maching machine sound i think is me its like a sonogram sound somehow something is inflammed enough to push hear my hearing? Can you give me a time soan it takes for this to self correct? This is the second time this has happened to me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.