Had a strange experience at phlebotomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All

Had a bad experience today whilst having phlebotomy done today and wondered if anyone else has had the same thing happen. This is only my third phlebotomy and the blood was flowing freely today (unlike the week before when they could only get a 100ml) and then I started to feel sick, went hot and clammy and could feel the blood draining out of me from inside my head. Luckily my hubby had come along with me as the nurse kept leaving the room and I had now filled the bag full. He called for help and nurse came took needle out blood spurted out quite a bit and my vein is still swollen up hours later.

Sorry everyone if too much graphic detail, but seriously thought I was going to pass out! it was such a scary feeling my BP had dropped to 74/41.

Is this normal and has anyone had this happen to them? Scared of having my next phlebotomy nowsad   Thanks in advance for any replies

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh Chelle69,

I am so sorry you had a horrid experience and hope you are feeling better now. I would say in my personal opinion this is a horrid unfortunate exception. I haven't read of this happening, nor have I experienced it myself. As a norm the Venesection nurses are lovely and much more in tune with what we go through than most. How good that your husband was there and able to help and comfort you.

• Posted

Hello

That sounds awful.  I am assuming that you had the general venesection pack used with that horrendous needle.  I had that used on my once and never again.  I had a huge big lump come up where the needle had gone in which lasted a couple of days but the nurse could not get the blood to flow, probably because I have small veins.  This might be why you have a lump and a swollen vein.  The reason you felt ill was that the blood came out too quickly, I saw this happen with my sister upon her first venesection.  The nurse tipped the bed up from the bottom so that the blood rushed to her head and that she did not pass out.  There is another way that you can have venesections and that is to have a smaller needle.  I have mine this way and all I am left with afterwards is a small pin prick.  I have a blue cannula and a blood bag is attached.  My sister has the same but she has a pink cannula, the needle slightly bigger than the blue one.  Mine takes about twenty minutes.  Most haematology departments will be able to do this for you and you won't be as stressed or sore afterwards.  Another reason to have a smaller needle is that you have got to have venesections for life and you need to look after your veins.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Marie

• Posted

I think this is a pretty normal reaction and I better you asked at a blood donation clinic, they'd have incidents like this every hour.

Funnily enough, on my third venisection I had a funny turn as well. There was a trainee technician observing and they were talking about the process and at one point, the nurse said "it's usual for the blood to spurt like that a little". That immediately put me on edge and then, to make it worse, I saw the full bag at the end and then I just started to feel myself go. I told the nurse I was crashing and she tilted me so my head was lower than my legs. BP dropped to around 80/40 too. But this incident never happened again; the rest were perfect.

What I learnt, is to never look at the bag, never listen, and just kind of try and zone out. I bet you know the blood spurted because your husband told you so, and while it can be reassuring to have moral support, it can also be a curse. The nurse/technician should not be leaving the room though.

Next time I would:

I) Tell the phlebotomist you had a funny turn last week and you'd like them to stay with you at all times.

II) look straight at the ceiling at all times. Maybe a sleep mask would help.

III) Take an iPod and headphones and just zone out. If you want your husband there, don't be feeding off his reaction to seeing you undergo a medical procedure. Maybe just have him hold your free hand and try to zone out.

I'm sure this was upsetting and scary but you'll be okay. Just think, the sooner you're deironed, the less frequently you have to go!

• Posted

Oh Michelle you poor girl, that nurse needs to be reported, she shouldn't have left you alone for one and taking out the needle before putting pressure on the insertion point, is inexcusable!

I have never had this faintness that you had, I can only think maybe the needle used was too large and the removal of blood too quick.

I hope you can get someone else next time, and that this is very much a one off.

Take care

Jen xxx

• Posted

I never eat fast food, however prior to giving blood - I get a cheeseburger and coke.  Since doing this many moons ago, I have not once felt like passing out.  Hope it helps you as well.  16 gauge needles are not fun no matter how long you have been doing them.  I think that she bleed you out to quickly, they should have never left the room, and furthermore- I would never use that person again to draw your blood.  Most trained nurses know how to titrate your blood so you bleed nice and easy.  
  • Posted

As everyone has said, the blood drained too fast - they hit a good vein.  The couple of times I experienced the woozy, clammy feeling, I realised I had not raised the foot of my chair.  So if you have not done that, ensure that you do next time.

The lump is a haematoma (bruise) from bleeding under the skin.  It does dissipate, but may be tender like a bruise.  It can happen whether you have a fast vx or an unsuccessful vx.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your support and advice.  I will definitely not be going back to the same cottage hospital to have this done there again and will be travelling further to receive proper treatment and care next time. 

​Best wishes to you all xx

• Posted

I think you are right Michelle, if you have a choice definitely travel that bit further. Best wishes for next time, I have my 10th vene on Monday next, so hoping my ferritin has gone in the right direction!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and keep warm!

• Posted

Thanks Jen, I hope you all goes well for you on your 10th venesection and your ferritin levels are spot on, then you can hopefully have a break for a whilesmile 

Will keep my fingers crossed for you x

​Best wishes xx

• Posted

Thanks Michelle, but my ferritin needs to go down a lot further before I get a break I'm afraid, but every little helps wink)

Take care

Jen xx

• Posted

Hi, this happened to me last week and it was my third venesection too.  It was really scary, my heart rate dropped to 30 and they put another line in my hand with extra fluids and did an ECG at the same time.  I have to have 20 venesections so I am really worried about this happening again.  I was driving afterwards last week but my husband is coming with me this week as I had to stay in hospital for ages until everything came back to normal.  In future they said that they would have to give me fluids at the same time as taking blood.  I hate needles, so this is not good!  Hope you have a better experience next time.  
    • Posted

Hi Mazza  

?Sorry to hear you had the same experience as me.. really is scary isn't it! 

Must admit I am dreading my next one too, don't know what to expect nowsad 

?I don't need as many as yourself I guess your ferritin must be much higher than mine, as 20 sounds a lot think I only need around 10. 

My GP suggested that I may need fluids also at the same time as blood taken but when I mentioned this to the nurse she said she thought I was too young to need fluids (haven't heard that for a while as I'm in my late forties!) but that they would see how the next one went?!... so fingers crossed for us both for next time xx

Hopefully it was just a one off for both of us and the rest of our venesections will be just fine from now on smile  keep in touch and let me know how you get on

?Take care and Best wishes  xx

• Posted

Hi, I'll let you know as I am there again tomorrow.  Really not looking forward to it 😞😞.  Hope yours goes well, best wishes, Mazza xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.