Had a Turp done 25 days ago, still bleed a little but cant pee

Posted , 6 users are following.

i cant pee well still have to push so pee could come out also a little blood comes out, feel so bloated like if i have a basketball in my stomack, need advise about this doctor said that i will be peeing like a horse after this surgery but this is not the case. Dont have cancer thank god.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

TURP should have fixed things, so see urologist again. I had a TURP in connection with prostate cancer, because of pee difficulties and routine blood tests having showed stage 1 kidney failure on account of the internal plumbing getting backed up
  • Posted

Please go back ASAP . It could be as simple as a fix with a round of antibiotics. Did they put you on some after your turp ? Waterworks has to run you are poisoning your system . They may have to put a catheter back in for a few days . Not sure if your uro office is open today Good Friday . But if it's closed get to a emergency centre !!

• Posted

I agree with the others. Go back to the urologist or another physician if you can't get to the urologist very soon. I suspect you'll be prescribed Tamsulosin (sold under the trade name Alna and Flomax) for urine retention.

• Posted

Hello Joe,  I had prostate surgery  - prostate ablation or TURP 25  days ago.  I'm  doing pretty well, only some  minor incontinence still.  I did have some problems the week after my surgery.  For a few days after the surgery I had terrible pain as though I was passing kidney stones.  Actually, the evening after being released I checked myself into emergency and had a  three way catheter rammed into my penis along with saline solution pushed in  using a 1" diameter syringe.  This was to blow up one of the tubes to form a "Bubble" which prevents the catheter from coming out.  Then I was hooked up to saline solution bags hung up on a rack which dripped saline solution into my   bladder so that pieces from the ablation could be rinsed out.

Now I'm getting to the crux of why I'm writing.  It is of paramount importance to be thoroughly flushed or irrigated following prostate surgery.  Otherwise there are pieces of the prostate floating around in the bladder which can block the urinary tract.  If you're bloated, it could be that your urinary tract  is blocked from one of these prostate pieces of tissue or clot.

This brings me to the  next point - it is absolutely  essential that anyone having any kind of prostate surgery which reduces the size of the prostate, have irrigation or flushing of  the bladder thoroughly done.  In my case after I  woke up after laser surgery I was hooked up to a saline  solution rack with two bags of saline solution running into my bladder and out another tube into a bucket.  At least every half hour a nurse came in and put new bags up on the rack so that gallons of solution ran through me for at least 7-8 hours after  my surgery.

In the late afternoon a very nice Japanese orderly brought a pallet of saline solution bags into  my room and unloaded them at the end of my bed.   This gave me great confidence that  I was in good hands.  That is until a new nurse walked into my room as it was getting dark.

The first thing she asked me  was  did I want a sleeping pill?  This   should have been  a signal to me that I should remain alert.  But I didn't  think anything of it when she fiddled with my saline bags.  I was groggy, couldn't see all that way in the half light,  but during the night it vaguely registered on me that the two bags hanging there looked exactly the same as when I fell asleep.  In fact throughout the night they appeared to not have been touched, much less changed.  In fact, I received no further irrigation after the night nurse came into my room and "turned off the valve".  All the bags  that were put at the end of my bed  were still there.  Before I knew what was happening a new nurse came in in the morning and yanked the catheter out of me.  I was told a couple of times that even a tiny drop of blood will turn urine red so don't worry about it, I was being discharged.

Back at our hotel room every time  I peed I had red urine and sudden painful stoppage after peeing 100ml or so.  As I said before it felt like I was passing a  kidney stone.  Clots of blood were evident in the toilet.  Three times I noticed pieces of what must have been prostate close to two inches long in the toilet.  Obviously my  bladder was not irrigated thoroughly.  The night  nurse because she didn't want to be bothered saw no reason to continue my irrigation.  I know there was laughter coming from down the hall when I woke up at night.  Was the night staff having a good time or did she want to get  a good night's sleep?  I don't know, but it  caused me the worst pain I have ever experienced every time I tried to pee.  This lasted for about three days after which all the clots   and  pieces must have finally all been eliminated.

My advice - you may not be fully aware after your surgery.  Have an advocate with you if you can.  The bottom line is make  sure your catheter is positioned in your bladder properly and have irrigation done all night after your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.