Had ablation yesterday

Posted , 4 users are following.

An unusual svt (an something) was immediately triggered but nothing else and this was identified and ablated.

I have to say had i known what it was like having ablation i would not have gone!

I have severe spinal problems so total of 5 hrs laid down was hell. The insertion of catheters was agony but shortlived. I had fentanyl two doses but seemed to have no effect ( i have problem with pain meds working). I didnt have any sedation as they said i was coping ok as in keeping still.

The bruising is gathering pace in groin and painful with movements.

I am getting odd heart things like its setting off an svt but short lived and alot of random tachycardia and lots missed beats. Told this is to be expected. I have to slowly reduce my verapamil over next month if i can. I can contact arrhythmia nurses if i need.

I had 8 wks ago a 5 hr attack of atrial fib which cardio said could have been from svt and he could not trigger a fib in me but if i get a fib again then its a different problem.

I am struggling with the after effects on heart. I am very anxious person and anything different worries me.cardio said it takes a month or so for irritation of preceedure on heart to improve hence staying on verapamil to begin with.

Any coping strategies welcome.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

Exciting that you're on the other end of ablation! Sorry to hear it was such a difficult time for you. I had my ablation done on 7/16/18 and was super focused on anything strange with my heart. drove the er at least twice and was talked out of going in by teladoc service. the day of my discharge i had random tachy that freaked me out since they poked a hole through my septum and ablated three spots on left atrium. Anyway, I'm only telling you as I can relate to your anxiety.

Coping strategies that worked (and continue to work) for me are:

1. Belly breathing exercise. great video on youtube called "deep breathing exercise" by David Carbonell
    2. Journaling daily or whenever you're feeling strange things with your body, mind.
    3. If you are spiritual, praying and surrendering all of your worries.
    4. Meditation. This can be done virtually anywhere.
    5. Social support, friends and family that you can talk with when you feel scared and anxious.
    6. Healthy diet/lifestyle. Take care of your body and everything will be a bit less traumatic. Drink plenty of water, get lots of sleep, after first week you should be able to start exercising. Fresh foods, lots of veggies/fruit, lean meats, whole grains and legumes.
    7. Stay present! This might sound easy but surprising that so many of us are either constantly in the future or the past but rarely in the NOW. Focusing on the environment around you, being in nature and appreciating every little aspect of its beauty.

8.Laugh! Laugh with loved ones, watch lighthearted comedies, enjoy time with kids.

1. Acupuncture has been amazing! I'm still doing this weekly and it is pretty cool how effective it is at grounding me and taking my anxiety down a whole bunch.

Anyway, thats all helped me a lot in the last three months. Getting clarity from your medical professionals is also another grest way to provide peace of mind. I've done ekg stress test, echo stress test, coronary calcium score, bloodwork on cholesterol and once i got clarity on my heart health post ablation it was hugely valuable in helping me to stop worrying all of the time.

I hope some of this info is useful for you. You are awesome and brave and here today!

• Posted

just wanted to thank you for a good response that will come in handy if i have an ablation myself, thanks

• Posted

No problem 😃 Glad i can help. i know hoe scary it can be going through it, having svts, and looking for comfort and answers. I'm telling you, the belly breathing has been a HUGE help. Sometimes for a few breathes and other times for 10-15 minutes and my head space would be completely shifted.

• Posted

Thank you shige. Things have improved although i am of course worrying if it will last! I havent yet started the reducing medication dose. I have to reduce to 2 tablets a day for 2 weeks then 1 a day for 2 weeks and if all ok then stop and see what happens.

I am amazed at how wiped out i am after it. I can understand why i was told to do very little for a week. My leg is improving as the bruising comes out and i can walk ok now.

If it works it was worth it but you understand the anxiety about what might hapoen!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.