Had Acid Reflux for 18mths and now getting Gastritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had acid reflux causing stomach discomfort, throat clearing, asthma, sore throat, nasty taste - the usual. I take 10mg rabeprozole 2x day and I am a great deal better than I used to be but still have troublesome symtoms.

I started to see an oetsopath (cranial osteopathy technique, ie just a gentle laying on of hands in various places) middle of feb and have now had 3 treatments. She is treating me for my stomach problems and I have been given excercises to correct my very bad posture. After the 2nd treatment I started to get pronounced gnawing in my stomach that I think is gastritis.

I have also seen a naturalist and herbalist who used some sort of electrical device ("The 'Health Detective' is a Bio- Energetic System for testing Food Allergies & Intolerances") has prescribed various supplements but also coconut oil and beef broth to increase my fat intake. Also a yeast free diet. I am 6 days into the diet and supplements.

The gastritis and associated coughing and asthma is my most troublesome problem at the moment and has been since my 2nd visit to the osteopath. I would appreciate any information/comments/advice from this very helpful forum. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi gandacC..

i had had a similar problem 5 months back. Started with acid reflux. I didn't take PPI's and went to a naturopath. I was given lot of supplements and asks to go on a yeast free diet etc (basically a candida diet). That's when I developed gastritis. I got worse with all the supplements and diet. I couldn't take care of myself and went home. Got myself scoped and had all ultrasounds, blood work done. Ultimately I was disgonized with gastritis due to hpylori. I was given antibiotics and I feel much better now although the gastritis is still there but much more manageable. 

Frsnkly speaking, I spent a lot of money on natural treatments and nothing worked. I also feel that naturopath doctors tend to over diagnose yeast infections and bacterial overgrowth. 

What worked for me was taking antibiotics to kill the hpylori and probiotics to repopulate the gut with good bacteria, a balanced diet of protein, carbs and veggies, yoghurt. 

I suggest you get tested for hpylori, it could be causing your gastritis. Also some strong supplements like oregano can cause gastritis. 

• Posted

Thank you for telling me your story. I am beginning to feel disheartened but after only 10 days now it is too soon to give up hope.  My gastroscopy test was negative for HPylori. As regards the bacteria, despite taking more than one lot of probiotics for weeks my naturopath tells me that my bacteria are very bad. I have done a saliva test to see if that is the problem but have not yet had the results.

I plan to see the doctor about the gastritis

• Posted

Bone broth soups might add some useful minerals. You could look this up. I'd cut down sugar as much as possible and lower carbs if you still suffer. You can always do your own research on these. Good luck with your Doctors.
    • Posted

Thanks for the tips. I am doing the broth and have cut down on sugar (it seems to be in everything).  Perhpas I could cut down on the carbs more ...
  • Posted

You could try,  Milk Thistle Complex Tablets. They worked brilliantly for me to the point I no longer have acid reflux. They are supposedly good for your liver too.

Good luck if you try them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.