Had an ovarian cyst, but often feel pain in the area?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back in November I was put in hospital cause they thought I had appendicitis but I actually had an ovarian cyst. The cyst popped and I was treated and let go. Ever since, before my period, I get really bad pain on my right ovary area where it was, but I got told that the egg releases on the opposite ovary each month. I also feel pain there if pressure is put on it. My periods were really heavy and became irregular after 2 years of Having it regular. I'm on the pill now but what could be wrong with me?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have a similar thing. Large ovarian cysts (the size of a gold ball to an apple) come very month, get large and burst. I am in constant pain but especially the week before and after my "period." I am on a pill that stops my period and has cut the pain significantly but I still have the pain even after the cysts burst. It is pain in my ovary and goes down into my groin which feels like something is getting caught and pinches causing terrible pain. I have been in bed for weeks at a time from the pain. But my doctors continue to say I have nothing wrong with me and that my cysts are largely normal. Let me know if you figure anything out. I sympathy with you.
    • Posted

I feel for you both.Its not easy getting diagnosed! I have pains similar to yours and have just found out I have a Dermoid Cyst growing from my right Ovary.I had a large one on my left Ovary 4 years ago and that Ovary and both fallopian tubes were removed as they were so mangled.I only managed to get diagnosed because I'd never fully recovered from Gallbladder surgery ,with Major complications,and was still under the Consultant.But I'd still not felt right since that surgery and now I have another decent size Dermoid with Bone in it.I get terrible pains when I Ovulate and have painful irregular periods.Sometimes the pain made me think it's Appendicitis.Ive to wait 4 weeks for a scan so I decided to pay and go to a Well woman's Clinic.I live in Ireland and we pay for medical things but I felt it was worth it as I was freaking out.Is there a Clinic like this where you are?Just getting scanned (Internal) gave me peace if mind to know the size and what kind of Cyst I had.And what op I will need. The pain you describe is similar to mine,you need to persevere with the docs and get seen to.Us women do get fobbed off but if you don't feel right then they have to Liston. Being bed bound for weeks is no way to live.I do feel bad for you.Once I was over the shock diagnosis I actually feel better knowing I'm not "imagining" the pain and that once ive had the surgery I should feel so much better.Hope you get some answers soon x
    • Posted

That sounds miserable! Bone in your cyst. Ouch! Mine are complex cysts with the blood and fluid but no bone. The doctors always offer to operate to remove the cyst but I always get more cysts so it's not worth it. I've thought about getting the ovary removed but I'm terrified of surgery. What if it doesn't help? Did having your ovary taken out help with the pain? Do you still have pain on that side?
    • Posted

The two Cysts that I have had are Dermoid Cysts,they grow from cells in eggs that get released and can contain Hair,teeth,bone and blood etc.Theyre grim and can turn Cancerous.The weird thing is all the pain I've ever had has been on the right side.But the 8×8 cm Dermoid that grew on my left Ovary had grown under my womb and was poking the right Ovary.I never had pain that side.Also my Gallbladder incisions and the Op incisions are mostly on my right side (I've 9 altogether)and Docs said that that can cause Adhesions (Internal scarring) so I'm hoping that when I have this Dermoid and Ovary out that I will be pain free.The last op took some getting over and I'm dreading having another one,but I have to have the Cyst and the remaining Ovary out.My family is complete and I'm fortunate that I didn't have these problems before I had children.Surgery really should help you.I suppose it's easier when you don't have a choice like me! x
    • Posted

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that. You probably do have pain due to the scaring. I hope you have some relief when they take your other ovary out too. At least all risk of potential cancer will be gone. Take care. I wish the best for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.