Had an SVT episode yesterday..

Posted , 3 users are following.

I handled it very well... Unfortunately I ended up with a terrible panic attack right after and took an Ativan for it.. helped so much after about a half hour but now I'm out of Ativan (was only given 5 by er Dr on an emergency room trip a week and a half ago). I've cut those 5 in half and been taking them at work to get through the day. I seem to have the most episodes at work...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You don't mention how long you've been diagnosed with SVT so its hard to know what to say.

I have no medical qualifications, but I did use Ativan for months after I got a fatal cancer diagnosis (which, touch wood, hasn't happened yet). It did help a lot with anxiety, especially at the start, but I became very dependant on it to feel 'normal' and found it very, very, hard to wean myself off it. It took several months of very gradual reduction in dosage to be able to manage without it. Hopefully you aren't as vulnerable, or aren't yet taking enough to worry about, but please be careful because it is commonly referred to as 'addictive'. 

As far as I know, Ativan will not prevent SVT. From my own experience I would worry that withdrawal from it might actually make you prone to an SVT episode. 

Please don't stop taking it until you've spoken to your GP or Cardio, and you might need to ask your GP for a prescription to keep you going in the meantime, but if you do have SVT then you should be on meds designed specifically to treat that. 

Please let us know more about your SVT history, diagnosis and treatment. SVT is very manageable with meds and avoidance techniques and in many cases can be cured completely with an ablation. 

Try not to worry too much, this might feel like a 'crisis' but it is only temporary until your meds and stuff get tailored for you smile

• Posted

I'm sorry, my first episode of SVT was in 1996.. didn't have another until 2009 when I started working at a particular job. I've worked at said job on and off since then and each time I've been there, my episodes kept coming on more and more. I always thought it was anxiety/panic. I'm stressed a lot of the time that I'm there. Love the job but always felt like our jobs were 'on the line' due to it's a government contract job. I do industrial sewing for the military. Now that these episodes have been officially diagnosed it had scared the absolute beejeebies out of me. Although I know there are techniques I can use and adenosine that's available when I need it.

• Posted

Hi again. Are you on medication for SVT? Are you due to see a Cardio?
    • Posted

I was put on 120mg of Diltiapem and took it for a month.. made me feel terrible so with dr.'s permission I stopped it. Due to see cardiologist on may 18th. Wearing a heart monitor recorder for two weeks as we speak.

• Posted

Hi, for some reason this forum site didn't notify me of your reply so sorry about that.

I too stopped SVT preventative meds eventually because they made me feel so ill I decided to have more SVT episodes instead.

If you can't tolerate the meds then hopefully an ablation will be an option soon.

Take care of yourself, fingers crossed for you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.