Had anybody else experienced bad lower back pain whilst taking Citalopram?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram 10mg for 2 weeks. For a couple of days now I have had excruciating lower back pain, can anybody else identify with this, I was wondering if it is a side effect? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yeah I’ve had the same feeling past few days! I’ve been on citalopram for 4 weeks. Most of the horrible side effects are easing but now I’m getting different ones like the back pain and headaches? Just gotta ride it out and pray they start working soon I supposesmile 
    • Posted

Hi,

How bad is your back pain and is it in your lower back? My problem is that I did have a fall and fell on my backside about 4 weeks ago but the lower back pain just appeared recently. I do not know if it is from the fall or one of the side effects of Citalopram. Any advice would be welcome . I have had an x ray on my spine but it appears nothing is broken.

• Posted

Tony, 

I have had bad back pain on and off for over 20 Years. I’m on my 7th week and I’m getting lower back pain. Mine is from arthritis developing there and possibly the meds is exerbating it. I feel much better after a hot shower 🚿 and focused the water on my lower back. Baby your back for a wile . You will get through this.  Keep us posted how you are! Ive gotten so many side affects from this med.Butvwith my strength and the great people on this forum I’m moving on . I’m not sure what kind of pain pill we can take with this drug!

Will😎

• Posted

Hi all,

I've started taking Cit 10mg a week ago. Yesterday afternoon I started having lower back pain and thigh pain. Restless leg syndrome kind of pain.Have not slept at all overnight or during the day. I am looking at a sleepless night again. Only thing that eases the pain is hot bath so I am on my tenth today. Almost midnight now and I am sat in the he bath tub. Has the pain gone away for you?how long did it last? I am genuinely scared and freaking out...going to speak to the gp to stop the meds as it's really bad for me.

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Tony

I realise your post is 2 years old and so you may not even look at your responses now.

You came up on a search as I was looking for someone who had lower back pain.

I started 10mg citalopram two weeks ago and the pain started after a week. It was so bad on the first morning i had it, that even to stand up was so painful. This is day 5 of the pain now and it's still bad. I have also noticed that my legs are swollen and so this must all be an inflammatory response to the drugs.

Did your pain go after a while, or did you stop taking the medication? I've tried Sertraline already and even after 2 months I had awful anxiety as a side effect.

Hope you get this message.

• Edited

I just started Citalopram on 7/16/21. Lower back pain started 7/18/21 and has been ongoing to date. I have a follow-up appointment on 8/3/21. In addition to the back pain, I've had some other minor side effects which have gone away. I have one other remaining side effect and that is sleepness nights. I become drowsy and can fall asleep, but I can't stay asleep throughout the night.

• Edited

I have severe lower back pain that started after 3 months, on 20mg. Is now moving into legs. I stopped taking citalopram yesterday and today is second day without dose. i am fairy fit, swimming, active, not a sitter, not watch TV.

Came off drug because firstly it may be the cause but also the drug limits pain relief options. Paracetemol has no effect. So far situation is worsening despite heat and exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.