Had chest xray shown up mild background copd

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had a bad chest for a few months had a number of different antibiotics had another chest xray results came back saying I had mild background copd with no disease iv no idea what this means I am going for a test to check my lung function has any one any infomation on this

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Morning lynne93840

This does seam strange because copd is a disease I'm confused aswell! I had an x-ray last year June due to long term coughing that turned chronic after a while but before the chronic coughingso

just thought theres no point going back & forth to the doctors as most times it always seams to be a virus with no name to the virus frustrating! I knew something was up when I developed an infection that antibiotics wouldn't clear it took three lots to clear it, whether it totally cleared up is unknown as I've have  had repeated exacerbations its one complication after another, I don't mean to scare you & it might not be like that for you as I'm one of those people who have other health conditions. 

Cut a long story short if I can ! after the x-ray i had I was told I have to see my doctor asap, so when i did get to see the dooctor he said the results showed all was clear except that I have copd! I couldn't make sense of it but it was on my mind that it could be, anyway I asked the question do I definatly have copd & he said yes then asked me to make an appointment for  spirometry testing which came back as elementary copd mild but then a short timeafter a month or so later I had another spirometry test where the nurse asked questions as well as the lung function test she then told me after that I'm at stage two & i've had quite a few flare ups since up untill a weekago & now getting over an eye infection & what seams like a sinus infection!

Your spirometry results should explain more about what stage your at please try not to worry your self as worrying can make you feel worse I must be famous for worrying by now! Try if you can to focus on something you enjoy reading,art or what ever else please let us know how you get on this forum is the right site to turn too if you don't already know wishing you well....

• Posted

Ty Karen I'm confused as well it's a scarey time and the test date seems a long time away even though it's only 2 weeks away I am trying to stay positive as I am also a worrier hopefully I will get some answers from the copd nurse

thank you so much for your reply

• Posted

hi lynne i have very severe copd so had lots of tests. the function test you will be getting is called a spirometry test it is just a breathinmg test where you will blow into a machine several times and maybe a walk test then they can work out what stage your at.

tam

• Posted

Ty you tam for your reply scarey time but hopefully will all get sorted
  • Posted

Sounds like me. I suffered from one chest infection after the other till I realised something was wrong. I was diagnosed with mild COPD and am sure it's emphysema though the doctor called it restrictive lung disease. I have done everything possible to keep fit to keep this disease at bay and, touch wood, it's working ok at the moment. Doctor told me as we get older all body organs shrink but the lungs are the first to shrink and that's why old people can't walk far or uphill normally. She said EXERCISE is the only way to keep the lungs at the capacity they are currently at. Steer away from people with colds, take vitamins, exercise as much as you can, eat well.
    • Posted

Ty seahorse for your reply I'm trying to stay positive about this and won't know until I have the lung test I'm glad you have got your copd under control

I know copd is a umbrella term for a lot of lung conditions but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with I will post my results when I have them

being on this forum let's me know I am not alone

ty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.