Had Cystitis For 3 Weeks - No UTI. Painful Urination, advice gratefully received

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, about 3 weeks ago I started having pain at the end of urinating. The Dr gave me antibiotics for a suspected UTI. Although symptoms improved, they did not go away and the Urinary Sample they cultured came back showing no infection.

I treated myself for Thrush by taking the tablet from the Pharmacy and using the thrush cream. Again symptoms improved but did not go away.

I have been through an enormous amount of stress recently and this pain began 2 weeks before an operation I was due to have to remove a cyst off my ovary (on the day of the op it was deemed unnecessary) but my stress levels had been raised massively prior to this. I also had to have a smear test which came back clear, but I was all worried about the actual test too. (The pain started approx 3 days before the test).

I also had a miscarriage in September and have had a lot of bleeding and hormonal issues since then. I was put on Cilest (birth control pill) to control the bleeding – which it had started to do but then I had to come back off it in readiness for the Op. So hormones are mucked about.

The pain started 4 days after my husband and I had sex for the first time in 6 momths.

Please can you advise? There is no blood in my urine and the pain is at the end of urination - with some discomfort continuing after my first pee of the day.

I have just seen our local Pharmacist who thinks it is Cystitis, but I do not have a UTI?

Is it possible it is caused by anxiety? Also, when I religiously put the cream on for thrush, symptoms improved (I treated it for a week) but after 2 days without, this morning it is painful again.

Sorry this is so long, I’m thankful for anyone’s advice as this is making me really miserable now

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same mine did start off just wanting to pee no UTI, within 24 hours i was doubled over, and had a UTI antibiotics didnt appear to work, my symptoms were no  better in fact i felt worse, anyway after another 2 visits to doctors the UTI had gone but i still had the symptoms, so got worse got fobbed off and fobbed off by accident and emergency and fobbed off again, i saw a doctor took a diferent path and o went for a scan today but that revealed nothing obvious, so  back to square one and and still have the symptoms and no one is listening to me i have had enough not sure what to do or where to go next xx
    • Posted

hi there, I have the same off and on for years and years.  Same feeling of pain at the end of peeing.  I now drink loads of water, eat bio plain yoghurt, take aloe vera juice 2- 3 times a day, take a probiotic and also put the yoghurt down there.  This regime really sees it off for me.  Have you tried of of these - and avoid tea coffee excess alcohol, sugar, citrus fruit drinks, tomatoes, raw spinach, asparagus and chocolate whilst you are treating it. 

See if any of this helps.

Regards

A fellow sufferer of long standing who was put on anti bs for 7 years and just got fed up of taking them and knackering my immune system.

• Posted

Hi LuvMyBichon, how is your health now? I had the exact same issues last year and got better and now it's returned.
  • Posted

Hi, just read your post from last year, Im having nearly exactly the same symptoms. How did you get on? did it finally clear? I need to know there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Posted

Wow! I have finally found someone who has similar things to me. I started getting a uti about six weeks ago at the same time as my period. Then I forgot and accidentally did the double tampax trick, but only for about an hour. I took antibiotics for the uti for a week then they gave me thrush so I used the cream for a week. Then I got itchy so I took worm tablets. Then I still had the itchiness about an inch up inside either the wee pipe or the women's area. So I got another lot of antibiotics, the same as the first. Then they didn't work so I went doctor again and my wee sample was clear, no bacteria. Then I went back to doctor and she gave me internal exam and prescribed me thrush cream AGAIN and a pessary. Then I went back to doctor when I COULDN'T WEE in the morning a couple of days later. The doctor said my urethra may be irritated so she said I should put vaseline up the wee hole for a week and if that doesn't work they will do another urine sample. My doctor in Finland however, I spoke to on the phone, he said it sounds like an upper uti and I need stronger antibiotics. I am paying to have them sent over as I'm currently in the UK. My husband is having treatment here for a heart condition. 

• Posted

And my doctor in England said it couldn't be interstitial cystitis, because you can have that for up to two years, and I've only had it six weeks!

• Posted

For anyone still reading this, i had 3 months of cystitis pain. Was told i had Intertititial cystitis or endometrosis. But all scans, blood, urine were clear. I was waiting for a laproscopy.. a rathet invasive bladder test to be done under general anasthetic.

Luckily before i did that i saw a gynochologist who gave me the prognosis of urethral syndrome cauaed by esteogen defficiency. Like you i had come off the pill, had alot of stress in my life at the time and had lost weight... cuasing my estrogen to plummet.

Im now back on the pill and feel better. I can come off in the future but wlmay need HRT with gradual weening ofd it it.

ANYONE with cystitis like symptoms i urge you do to do a hormone test. I am amazed that no one bothers to check this. Also pelvic floor dysfunctiom goes hand in hand. There are excercies foe that.

Anyway im still not 100 percent bettee but on the mend. Good luck ladies!

• Posted

Hi I have cyctitis taken antibiotics according to urine culture and antibiogram but still have leg knee joints pain what should I do ?

Thanks Dr safirzadran 

• Posted

Hi there, do you mean you have post coital cystitis? Same as I do (plus ecoli infection). I do use natural vaginal lub during sexual intercourses and d-mannose and it works perfectly smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.