Had FLA with Dr K. This morning 4/28/17

Posted , 28 users are following.

I am 47 and have been dealing with BPH for about six years.  Four of those years I have been on Uroxatrol with ok results but the drug has been losing its efficacy and it has given me heartburn and dizzy spells especially when I get up from kneeling.  The actual procedure was more painful for me than others on here have indicated but my BP spiked slightly so they could only give me a limited amount of Versed and Fentanyl.     Procedure went perfect and as of now,  I feel no effects of somebody ablating my most private of areas.     Dr K and nurse Samantha are exactly as advertised.   I cannot say enough good things about them.  She is extremely caring and personable and he is so involved on making his patients understand EVERYTHING.  He also goes above and beyond.....an example.....I had to have my cath put in the day before the procedure (yesterday) because my URO could not get a cath in the last time a had a cystoscope.   Well Dr K got one to go in (thank god or I could not have had the procedure) but it gave me extremely painful bladder spasms.   I noticed this after I left his office.   When I got to the hotel, the spasms made me p*ss all over myself.  Unsure of what was happening, I called Dr K.    An hour later HE CAME TO MY HOTEL ROOM to check on me!!!!  I thought house calls stopped back in the 60's???  My catheter does bother me and is, at times, painful at the tip of my penis.   Spasms still occurs but is becoming more tolerable.

I will update in two -three weeks.

0 likes, 287 replies

287 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery. I'll be following your recovery with a great deal of interest. Thank you for sharing your experience and look forward to hearing a lot more.

• Posted

Yea! It will be good to follow. If u were one of the original trial patients, did u contact dr bagla or another radiologist bc it can be repeated. He is now using smaller beads bc they have seen lots of improvements. My understanding is the Arteries go to the whole prostate so it targets all the loves. We got an MRI after mine the whole prostate shrunk, even the median lobe. I think u may be misunderstanding a little bit but maybe every person is diffenrt. The docs told me all procedures have recurrence even the dreaded turp which I didn't want recurs. Look at the complications from all before deciding on next steps.

• Posted

Yeah, I have contacted Dr Bagla and he has told me about the smaller beads too. I am happy to hear that you have experienced success and truly hope that it continues for a long time for you. I agree that all these procedures are temporary as we are treating the symptoms and not the cause. Which is why I am also extremely interested in the the Gat Goren method as a potential cure for BPH.

If you don’t mind me asking, how large was your prostate and how much did it shrink after PAE?

• Posted

Congrats Keith! The worst part of it is right now when the Foley is in. And I guess the first week after it comes out, because you have to pee, but it is very difficult, at least for me. I had pain during the last two ablutions, I think he did 6. When are you headed home? Make sure the Foley connections are tight before running through the airport, LOL!
    • Posted

Hey Roy...I think he did five ablations on me and I felt all five.  Also ,  I felt very cramped lying in that MRI tube for almost 3 hours!!!
    • Posted

Hey Roy and Keith, Mike here. Yes Roy, that was me that had the terribly embarrassing experience in the airport. Luckily no one saw me when it happened, because the bag was full from the drive to the airport. My tan pants you could see were totally soaked. Almost as bad was opening up my suitcase after 3 days with urine soaked clothing inside. It is good that I did not have to open it in front of a TSA.

About my FLA for BPH with Dr K on April 6th. I was on the table for about 3.5 hrs, not sure of how many ablation, but it was the largest prostate he had performed this procedure at 176cc or ml with a large median lobe. I think he said that I had 8 ablations, due to the size. I was awake for the whole procedure, due to the fact I came in with high blood pressure and a slightly low oxygen level that Dr K wanted me conscious for the whole time. I could tell when he did a ablation, but it was not painful. A couple times i could tell temperature differences, especially when he got close to my rectum, not painful.

I had my Cath in for 8 days on my decision because I wanted to know where to get new faiths to put in if needed, plus I waited until my wife got home if there would be a problem. I did as the doctor told me, pinch off the Cath for about 2 hrs prior to removal so that the extra urine could flush out the urethra plus make the removal of the Cath easy because it came out with this flow. Prior to the procedure I would start with dribbles all over and very seldom a flow. After the procedure and Cath removal, a consistent flow classified as light to medium. Now at almost 4 weeks, I have a slight improvement in flow, the frequency has improved to maybe 2 at night instead of 4 to 6 and 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs from .5 to 1 hour.

• Posted

Keith,

I talked to Dr K yesterday and he was wanting to know how I am (27 days out now).  He wanted to let me know that his Clinical Trial is up and available on the site now.  It will be several months before anything gets published in the Trial.  Were you part of the Trial?  If so, you were probable one of the 1st.  I was suppose to be the 1st patient to be in the Trial and even when I got to his office the day before that was the case.  But as usual, one of the benefactor and sponsoring companies did not have all their information to submitt, so out of the Trial for me.  This is the URL if your are interested.  Dr K has labeled this Trial differently than the way we are use too:  

MRI Guided Transrectal Prostate Laser Ablation for Benign Prosatic Hypertrophy (BPH)

https://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT03131544

Keep me posted as to your progress.  I sent a post to Motoman right below this one as to my current condition.  

Lots of luck,  Mike

• Posted

I am part of the trial.  I think I was first or second.
  • Posted

Good morning Trustme,

i have a feeling you have a lot of eyes on you!  Many of us here are looking for reports on the FLA.   Most are onboard with Dr. K,  as many of us have spoke with him,   Were just not too sure about being onboard with the FLA.   Will keep an eye out for your progress reports!

Also I was wondering,   If you flew into Houston and if so how long are you staying there before heading home?   I flew once with a cath and security took me to their little inspection room to confirm that's what it was,  a little humiliating.    Also how long did Dr. K want you to keep your cath in?    One last question,  does your cath have a small valve on the very end so you can remove the bag and just go pee every couple of hours by just opening the valve?  (Basically doing away with the bag).

Thanks for your decision on the FLA,   looking forward to your posts!

have a blessed day!

• Posted

I arrived on Thursday, procedure was on Friday and I heading home Sunday.  3 nights.  Dr. K said this was plenty of time.  Cath is in for seven days.  No valve.  I asked about it and he said to clamp it if I want to control it.    
    • Posted

I also was told to clamp it and I did not prefer the clamp to just natural so I took it back off. But that is me and my wife said I should have given the clamp on my leg more time for me to get use to it. I think I just got use to it without the clamp befor I put it on my. I bet Motoman had a different experience to that leg clamp. Bet it was good. 
    • Posted

I actually had a valve that Dr K gave me. It just plugged into the port like the pee bag does. I used that, or the clamp. Honestly, I did not like the valve. It was bulky enough that I didn't leave the house or hotel with it, same as the clamp. What I did do was use either the clamp or valve in the morning at home for the first 4 or 5 hours after waking up. 

But I had a weird sensation when I used the valve and emptied my Bladder. When it was finally empty, it felt like something slammed shut in the Bladder, every time. Just a very weird feeling. Try it with the clamp, maybe it doesn't do it. 

And don't have sex as early as I did. I think it was too early even though Dr K said it was OK. I think I did it at around 2.5 weeks. Hold out as long as you can! LOL

• Posted

Anthony, Trustme is doing really good now. We are all very happy for him. 
  • Posted

Hey buddy just read your post. Glad to here you are doing great. Even though you feel pretty good, dont do what I did the second day out and over do it. I should never had toured NASA for 3 and half hours. 

I am sure you are on the Uribel but it should catch up to the bladder spams and help a lot if you keep on it every six hours. 

I am still very happy and you will be also. I am old enough to be your DAD!! So you will do great. And we will find a permenate fix to the growth issue with the prostate. 

You are so right about Dr. K. It is even unbelievable for a person who has had the procedure to understand how this doctor could be this way. He is truly one of a kind and simply wonderful. He will be very close to you for several weeks to help you through the recovery guestion. Other doctors just have an office staff or a PA communicate with you. Not Doctor K. As you saw, if he felt you had a issue HE CAME TO YOU!!!! And he has been like that with every patient he has had that I have  been aware. I had a lot of question and he directly answer every one anytime I called for a inquiry after my procedure. 

You have my number. Use it when ever you want to or get bored. I leave for NC tomorrow for a 5 day golf trip but I have lots of time and always have my phone surgically attached. 

Good Luck and Dont have sex just yet. (inside joke)

john

• Posted

Glad to hear things went well for you. Very interested in following your progress in the weeks ahead to see how you improve.

Rick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.