Had gallbladder removed- odd pain now

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi! I had my gallbladder removed 3/1/18, laparoscopically. When I lay down to sleep at night, I get this sharp, stabbing pain in my upper right quadrant (where gallbladder was) that shoots up to my shoulder and into my neck. It only hurts when I breath in. So each breath it hurts when I’m laying flat. I have to sleep elevated on pillows. I’m not sure if this is the gas pains or other normal associated pains. Did anyone else experience this? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had similar stabbing pains on my right side as well. I had my gallbladder removed on the 6 February. I have heard that this is normal and actually is part of the healing process. I didn't have paid in my shoulder but have tried to not overdo things since being back at work last week. Hopefully things will settle down for you.

• Posted

Yes, i had a similar experience. I had my gallbladder removed on August last year. I guess it is normal though each person's experience is different. I still get some dull pain where my gallbladder was. As for the shoulder pain, I think it lasted for a month or so. Painkillers helped me a lot during that time. I wish you a quick recovery.

• Posted

Hi ! I have just been investigating why I have pain in my scapular and I came across a nerve that runs by the gall bladder it begins with N i should have wrote it down ! u have not yet had my gall bladder removed although I do have a stone struck in my bile duct which I have to have removed they saw it when I had the endoscopy retrograde .my conditions been going on for a while with high LFT's in and out of hoqspital but I do not look like the typical gall stone person Mmm ! anyway if you google right pain in shoulder blade it should come up about that nerve ! Maybe that's it and will go away soon when you start to heal more .

• Posted

Nurseonthego

hi yes exactly the same as you but not going up into shoulder and neck !!

im 6 months post opp and still have this intermittently!

i think it’s from adhesions ie scar tissue possibly!!

but yours sounds like it could very well be nerve damage from your incision as it proceeds to your neck and shoulder!!!

are you actually a nurse 👩??? 

• Posted

I just had my gallbladder removed yesterday and I have the same pain in my shoulder and neck. It can get pretty painful. After surgery at the hospital I got up to walk around and I almost passed out from the pain. The nurse said it’s from the air and c02 they used to inflate my stomach. It hurts worse when I lay down or get up to move around sometimes. They also said there’s some nerves down in your stomach that causes you to feel the pain up in our shoulder and neck. Seems like it’s all normal. 
    • Posted

I assure you it’s normal don’t freak out.

and if you do have muscle or nerve damage , of which you do , you just had yr muscle and nerves cut right through lol it would show nothing on the ultrasound at all ..

god I wish people knew what they were taking about before they made stupid comments on here.

you will be fine hun, it’s all quite normal relax go with the pain it will calm down I assure you ok 👍 

‘drink plenty of water and sleep a lot to let yr body heal and yr incisions heal ok it will take some time .

• Posted

That's no good!!  Did you speak to the surgeon?  Maybe they should do an ultrasound in that area to make sure there isn't a problem?  It could be muscle/nerves  doing odd things now that the gallbladder is gone but not good!  I still have my gallbladder for now & gastropresis. 

• Posted

Yes, most everyone that has their gallbladder removed laparoscopically has this pain. It is from the gas that is use to inflate your abdomen area where your surgeon has a clearer view of your internal organs. When you lay down the gas moves up, therefore you can have moderate pain to terrible pain in upper abdomen, under your breast, up into your neck, chest, back or the worse place under your diaphragm, it feels like you are having a heart attack. All of this is perfectly normal. The more you are up and walking around the quick the gas dissipates. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.