Had gallbladder surgery and feeling nauseous after two years. Help!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello, back in april of 2018 i had awful nausea, come to find out I had 13 gallstones which led to surgery. The doctor told me I would feel nauseous for about two weeks but that passed and i was still nauseous. Since then, I have done multiple tests i.e endoscopies, colonoscopy, eeg scan, mri, cat scan, emptying stomach scan, therapy and have been on 17 pills that doctors prescribed. I havent felt better or well in over two years. I am losing weight and changed my diet to dairy and gluten free in hopes of changing. Also have seen an ear nose and throat doctor and am allergic to olives. I am at a loss. I am only 23 years old weighing currently at 116 lbs. No doctor has been able to help me and i don't know what to do. (I have also done medical marijuana and nothing) PLEASE someone help me. I need to get better and need to be able to eat.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Couldn't say what's causing it, but I had similar symptoms for 6 months straight last year and despite an entire battery of tests, no one could tell me what was wrong with me. I was 100% horribly nauseous all day every day without reprieve and I literally couldn't eat anything because my body didn't want it. It felt horrible, and unnatural, and even though nothing showed up on any test (except for maybe a mildly sluggish gallbladder)I've never suffered so much in my life. I went to 3 or 4 doctor's in absolute desperation and I think some of them though I was making it up, but I had a good GP who encouraged me, because he was used to seeing me in very good health and knew I wasn't bullsh*tting him. He admitted that he, too was mystified. Even though the gallbladder was longshot, the general consensus was hat removing it might help. I had. a surgery scheduled, but decided to seek one final opinion. I didn't have health insurance, but I finally got some money up and went to Atlanta to see a gastro named Fixelle, and he was the head of Gastro at Emory university at that time, so it was about as high as you can go with doctors. He, too, admitted that the case was a bit of a mystery, but told me the one thing I hadn't heard yet. He'd seen it before. Especially in young women and that he suspected it had something to do with hormones or bile backup(and he really went into the science of it like he was explaining it. to a medical student). He took me off of the prilosec and a few of the other meds I was on and left me on Sucralfate. Told me I might take a month to get better, or I might take a year, but that he would continue to try. to figure it out. 4 months later I was better. It was slow and gradual, but it worked. I don't knowing you have something similar, bit as that gastroenterologist explained to me, there are lot of things going on with how the stomach relates ans communicates to the rest of the body that we are still trying to understand, and sometimes all we can do is throw things at it until something works. My GP also recommended that I try to exercise(I was only 112 pounds because of not eating but moving helps things slide through your digestive system) I picked up biking. Riding while nauseous and weak was horrible at first. but I started noticing improvements, and that's when started to have hope. My advice: find someone with more than one board certification who takes you seriously and go to them. If it's in big city, they ate likely to have seen way more s**t than a gastro in a smaller down. I don't even live in that small of a city, but going to the big guns helped. I hope your journey leads you to feeling better soon. I know how absolutely abysmally horrible feeling like that can be, and how hopeless and awful it makes you feel. There's answer out there for you somewhere.

• Posted

also I stopped eating red meat and dairy if that helpes

• Posted

Realized this didn't make sense. I typed up a long reply, but it is "waiting to be moderated" hopefully it will show soon.

• Edited

hi emily15570 .

You sound so unhappy. I understand that feeling from medical problems. First and foremost read the side effects from any medication you are taking. lf any side affect is nausea then ask your GP for an alternative. Weight loss is common with so many conditions but after all those investigations with no reasonable explanation then it could be what you are eating or infact. . . . . when?

Gallbladder complaints effect the movement of fat in the diet. A low fat diet is recommended before and after gallblader surgery. Dairy is rarely low fat. Low fat eating can be difficult in a high carbohydrate diet. Maybe your whole diet needs rethinking.

What do you think a low fat diet looks like and can you sustain one?

• Posted

hey thank you so much for the respone! i already took out dairy and gluten and ill also take out red meat as well! hopefully i can get some results from this. And I'll try a low fat diet too

• Edited

Around 14 years old it started for me. The constant nausea and vomiting. I would end up in the ER like 4 times a month and they couldn't even stop me from vomiting and wretching. I got my gallbladder out around 19 years old I believe, I had a gallstone or a couple, I don't remember. I had my gallbladder out and woke up in the worst pain. I left the same day and ended back I'm the hospital the next day because the pain and nausea didn't subside. I dealt with it for a long time. Unfortunately I got into drugs and it went away. When I tried to stop the drug habit it was back full force! It was worse than being dope sick. The nausea, the vomiting, the chills and sweats. I would lay in my moms bathtub with the shower as hot as it would go and just lay there for hours. It was the only thing that regulated my body temperature and stopped my nausea. Most times when I tried to get out of the shower, it would come right back and I would go back in and lay there for a few more hours. My mom felt so bad for me and was p****d at the same time because water is expensive. I wouldn't even be able to go out to eat because I would take 1 bite of food, get nauseous and have to find the bathroom. I would be sitting on the toilet and have a barrel in front of me because it was usually that I had to go to the bathroom, diarreah always, but that also made me nauseous. It was f*****g awful. I looked endlessly online for something with my symptoms. I came across CVS, Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. It explained all my symptoms. I saw many GI doctors, OBGYN's, Psych doctors, neurologists ect.... I tried the meds other people said helped them when I found the diagnosis of CVS. I joined a facebook group for it. So I went to my Psych doctor and tried to explain it and asked for ativan as an abortive medication, which is hard cause I was then labeled a drug addict. I saw my GI doctor and he gave me zofran and a couple other anti medics. I saw my OBGYN because I noticed it always started right before my period was gunna start and she put me on the depo shot. I took some OTC vitamins and supplements. After like 2 years it started to subside. I was deathly afraid to try to get off any of the medications, but the only one left that I'm on is the depo shot and even if I'm late for it I can start feeling nauseous. I went thru the same thing as you. All the testing, blood tests, endoscopy, stomach emptying scan ect... always came back normal. It was hard to work because I always ended up in the bathroom and people were talking thinking I was doing drugs and at this point I wasn't. I was just sick. It's an invisible illness and people don't understand it. Try to keep a food diary and a menstrual diary. as well as a nausea diary. Write down the day and time of everything. Maybe something will stick out once you do it for a couple weeks and look back on it. Just know that you aren't alone! Keep trying to research yourself. Don't give up. You have the right to live a normal life!! I'm now almost 32 years old and terrified still to get off 2 of the medications I'm on, so I will probably be on them for life. I don't want to go back to those days. I feel for you. I really do. Try talking to your OBGYN about different monthly pills, shot, patch ect.... Maybe it has to do with a hormonal balance?? Different pills and others do different things and have different levels of hormones in them. The shot has progesterone instead of hormones and it helps with my migraines as well. Don't give up and just keep fighting!! I hope you get to the bottom of it sooner than later and I hope I said something to make you feel a but better knowing you aren't alone or to give you an idea of something else to try. Good luck girl, I'm thinking of ya!

• Posted

hi! thank you so so much for your response. it really helps knowing im not alone. Crazy to think about my birth control because i had switched to a new one because of cramps so i actually dont get my period. I think I will talk with my doctor about the depo shot and hopefully that can do something. i really appreciate this so much. im glad you got something to work for you i hope you dont have to stay on it forever. thank you.

• Posted

Hello,

you said you are going to talk about getting the Depot shot....but doesn't that decrease your monthly cycle? is that what you are going for?

• Posted

im honestly unsure i have to look into it more and talk with my doctor

• Edited

hi just to add, i fear that i have a fear of throwing up, even saying the name makes me queasy. Could this be a reason for my nausea? should i try cognitie behavioral therapy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.