Had Hal Rar for grade 2 and 3 haemorrhoids 10 days ago

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I had the hal rar + botox to treat my grade 2 and 3 rhoids and a chronic fissure 10 days ago. It wasn't painful at all but I'm not sure if it worked? I still prolapse when I go have a bowel movement. I thought that when the hal rar essentially stitches the haemorrhoids in so there shouldn't be any prolapse? Does this mean it didnt work?

Anyways here is my experience:

Day 1 post op - I got discharged from hospital the same day. I was constipated before the surgery, which was awful luck because I made sure to eat boiled fish dumplings only thinking it would give me a soft stool. Instead I was constipated which made recovery worse. I was pooping like little rabbit poop and had to strain to even get it out. When I would go to the bathroom the prolapse was mild not as bad as before and the rhoids would go back in / retract on their own a few seconds later. Before the surgery it would take a minute or two for the prolaspe to go back in if I lie on my belly.

Day 2 post op - still constipated. No appetite and using movicol + actalax. Feeling more bloated. Still rabbit poop. I had to squat and strain more to get anything out

Day 3 post op - still constipated feeling extremely bloated. feeling like i had to go poop every hour or so is horrible

Day 4 post op - still constipated but after straining and pushing hard because i couldnt tolerate it anymore, I finally had a decentish bowl movement. Alot came out and I felt a little better. But the prolaspse became bigger. Now I am starting to worry because Im wondering if I broke the stitches?

Skip to Day 7 post op (since up until then its pretty much the same) - I think the botox began to kick in as my anal spincter is alot more relaxed. However the prolaspe is still there. The only imrpovement is that it goes back in much more quickly than post op. (20 secs as opposed to 1-2 minutes while lying on my belly)

I lost 3 kg in 10 days from being on a liquid diet mostly consisting of fiber and almond milk + berries blended.

Anyway, my question is:

1. has anyone who had the Hal rar procedure experienced this? Isnt the prolaspse meant to NOT happen immediatedly after the hal rar because the haemorrhoids are stiched in? I cant even feel the stitches along my prolapsed when i clean myself -_-

2. has anyone had the stitches come out?

3. I read it takes 12 weeks for it to work but are we supposed to still have prolapse leading up to it?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hello I am 36 years old and I had RAR surgery two and half weeks ago. I live in Paris so I had the surgery here. The pain 2 days after the surgery was pressure that felt like someone was pulling something inside my ass with an immense power. After the bowel movements in the mornings, I felt relief. But first 3 nights, I couldn't sleep right because of the gas and the pressure inside, real nightmare. One week later, after I went to toilet, I felt that the pain has gone away.

2 days later that bowel movement, I felt the hemorrhoid came back because of that spasm feeling, exactly like before when I had the hemorrhoids. After an examination with my finger, what seemed to be pushed inside with RAR surgery, came back and now it is exactly the same size before the surgery.

I have an appointment in 3 days with my doctor. Maybe it is me worrying over something that will go away in time or maybe the stitches inside couldn't hold the hemorrhoids. But I don't feel any better than before, I still can't sit without that throbbing sensation down there. I am starting to think if my stitches snapped or something, if that is even possible. I had no bleeding except the first BM.

• Posted

gosh share what your doctor says please. I am seeing mine in 2 days. I think i might have the same problem as you with the stitches

• Posted

I am going tomorrow morning. The thing with the stitches is that if they have snapped, there might have been some blood or something. I am thinking that I would have felt it, no? We are talking about 12 weeks of recovery time, maybe it is gonna get healed. But the throbbing sensation makes me feel that it is still there.

Also let me know what your doctor is going to say. I hope nothing bad.

• Posted

what did your surgeon say? I didnt manage to see mine. Apparently they booked me in for the 11th not the 4th -_-

• Posted

Well, he told me that the recovery takes about 3 months and gave me another appointment in 2 months. The stitches were fine and he thinks that it will be fine. What I thought that came back as hemorrhoids were external ones which will heal in time and gave me Daflon. If those external ones don't heal, I will go to surgery for their removal. But to be honest, I am really not happy about the outcome of this surgery.

• Posted

Hmm are you sure its external ones? Its quite obvious when its external ones. External hems are painful when you touch them. Internal have no nerves so its not painful. Mine are definitely internal hems as when i have a bowel movement, the prolapse from before is the same, although not as bad. I assume its because of the botox I had for the fissure which makes the hemmoroids not as strained as before.

• Posted

The thing that you mention about prolapse from before is the same is exactly the same as mine. I have them at the same spot but not as bad. I didn't know that I had externals. But always keep in mind even the doctors can lie. I wasn't really convinced about what my doctor told me. I mean, why do I have to use Daflon after a surgery? I went into this hemorrhoids surgery in order to get rid of these but I still have them.

This, I know for a fact though, after the surgery when I touched the area, it was all smooth as if the surgery was perfect and I had no throbbing sensation until that smooth area was replaced by that external hemorrhoids after a week.

My doctor explained the situation to me, imagine a person who lost a lot of weight in short time and he will have saggy skin.

But long story short, I still feel hemorrhoids and it bothers me.

• Posted

YES! my first day of surgery i was constipated and when i tried to push nothing came out. Usually when I try to push the internal hemmrohoids drop down. But day 1 nothing. Second day when i tried to have a bowel movement the internal hemmroids dropped down so im like oh no did i break the stitches? So frustrating. Problem is if i do another surgery I cannot do it anytime soon because covid is spreading so fast here the government stopped all elective surgeries!

• Posted

I would like to hope that it is not the situation. But never push, no matter what. I know the RAR surgery's pain is immense. It is like someone is pulling your inside out and when there is BM waiting at the door, it is just unbearable. First 3 days, I was having the worst nights of my life. Couldn't sleep, always gassy. It was that end of the first week that did it for me, diarrhea. The pain went away but then the throbbing started in the morning, and the hemorrhoids came back again.

The doctor kept saying give it another 2 months and it will heal. The throbbing always comes back after a BM and last about 3 hours to whole day.

Where do you live that the covid situation is so bad?

• Posted

Im from Australia. They just stopped allowing all elective surgeries because of the infection rate. Did you only have a bowel movement a week after surgery? Maybe thats why you only noticed the hemmorhoids still there

• Posted

No no, I had the BM the day after the surgery, everyday. That specific one was the milestone of that situation that I had mentioned.

Do you feel discomfort after BM, or through whole day?

• Posted

No i dont have discomfort after BM. Actually I just saw my surgeon. So he said he doesnt think the stitches came out because they are quite strong (i dont know how true this is) and upon examination he could see the scar tissue from the stitches. What he thinks the prolapse is, is the lower portion of the hemmorhoids. Apparently with the Hal rar, you can only stitch the top portion and if there are hemmorhoids lower down at the anal canal they can't stitch those because its incredibly painful due to too many nerves.

Thats what he told me. However, when i touch the prolapse part there's no pain so i doubt what he is saying is correct as that region that is prolapsed has no nerves.

Also i asked him about your situation just out of curiosity because I asked if my prolapse is external hems (like yours). He said if there's no pain when you touch them its definitely not external hems

• Posted

I hope you are little bit relieved.

What I thought as external hem doesn't hurt at all but something gives discomfort. My biggest problem is the throbbing sensation. The anal spasms.

I think we need a little bit more time, because since the nerves are stitched, the hems will shrink as time grows.

How do you feel now?

• Posted

yeah if it doesnt hurt then its not an external hem. Hmm im really not happy with my surgery to be honest. I didnt go through all that to still have the hems and fissure. I really do think the stitch broke. The day I did my surgery I arrived at 4pm and the surgery only started at 7pm because the surgeon had a long surgery. I was worried that he would do a rush job on me because he was tired from his previous surgery. My surgery only took less than an hour to complete...

• Posted

I do think the same way actually. Because I know that the smoothness after the surgery is gone and everything is exactly the same as before the surgery.

I was also worried that my doctor botched the surgery, because I was supposed to enter to surgery at 14:00, they took me and kept me waited until 19:30 before they took me to surgery. There was another operation that was very important. Not only I had to stay there for the night, we thought maybe he didn't do a very well job either.

• Posted

So I had my 2nd follow up consultation with my surgeon. Also had another 2nd opinion with another surgeon who after I explained my hemmrhoids was still there and showed him pictures, he injected sclerotherapy which made me cramp up for 4 hours. Was awful.

And then....after speaking to my original surgeon and showing him photos, he basically said my hemorrhoid's in the photo, which has been the hems bothering me for 10 years.......WERENT INTERNAL HEMS AT ALL. Those were external hems. I always thought external hems would hurt but after doing more research, it turns out theres a difference between external hems and external THROMBOSED hems. And the hal rar does not affect the external hems. SO WHY THE F%$K did i even do hal rar to begin with if my internal hems werent the problem! He said my internal hems were large when he first checked me but even if that were true, they were never causing me problems so i should not have done that procedure to begin with.

So apparently there's 3 options now:

1. cut out the external hems which i dont want to do because its really painful and will leave a scar which will tighten my anal sphinter even more

2. do more botox so when the sphinter is relaxed I do not strain and those external hems wont flare up and turn thrombosed. BUT the problem is once the botox wear off the tightening goes back to normal

3. do a sphinteroctomy to permanently relax the muscle. The issue here however is a small risk of incontinence.

Ahhhh i don't know what to do or if i should even go back to my original surgeon.

• Posted

Just today, I was looking at alternative treatments and I saw sclerotherapy then I decided to look at here.

I read everything that you have written and WTF? I knew that hal rar wouldn't affect at all. As I have told you before that my doctor told me that it would take 3 months for the operation to show its effects but I have passed 2 months time and it is no better than before the operation, I am gonna lose it.

I have been thinking, after discussing the situation with my mother, this doctor that operated me maybe did an operation which wasn't necessary at all because mine were maybe external as well. According to 4 doctors that I have seen back in my country in summer told me that I had external hems and they were only grade 1.

I know you have anal fissure as well which is an additional nuisance, I think you have to look for real good treatment that won't cause problems for you in the future. I heard something that they add flaps, I would suggest if you look into it.

I will go back to my country again and have surgery once and for all. The doctor has given me something called hydroxyzine, I have been taking it and read something about it being something similar to Xanax. It relaxes the muscles and the pain goes away for the day. But I don't want to use it.

I have pain during the day after Bowel movement that lasts the whole day, alcohol helps but to an extent. So, basically my surgery was nothing more than a nuisance and economical set back.

Tell me as well what you will you be doing.

• Posted

if your problem is same as mine, external hems which do not hurt but enlarge when you go to have a bowel movement then go back in after, then sclerotherapy won't work. I don't know why i let that other surgeon inject me with it. It only works on internal hems which are red squishy tissue.

I never had problems with internal hems it turns out mine was always the external hems and a tight anal sphinter which made me fissure easily. My new surgeon said the only way to deal with it is to cut it out which might make the sphinter tigther due to scar tissue since its on the lower part of the anus (internal is higher up), or botox to relax the muscle. I do notice that with botox I can go to toilet easy without the external hems straining too much. I will go for another round of botoxi n 3 weeks for this.

• Posted

Hi Andrew. I'm just wondering if you had any further luck with your symptoms? I have been told mine in internal grade 3 but I also have an external component that deflates. I've been suggested to try banding (50% chance of helping), or HAL RAR with a better success rate. I too have experienced fissures which I believe is due to how much space the hemorrhoid takes up when it prolapses. My main symptom is a feeling of pressure that worsens as the day goes on. Especially with long periods of sitting. Are you still unhappy with the results?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.