had inguinal hernia surgery 7 months ago still in pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 7months ago I underwent surgery for a inguinal hernia and had mesh to repair it, the operation seemed to go fine but 7months on I do anything other than sit still I get pain and a scratching feeling around where I had the operation and a dull ache in my right testicle also if I bend over I am sure I can feel the mesh sticking into me does anybody else have any of these symptoms

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ross, you are not alone - many suffer in similar ways. If you are able to read previous posts you will realise how widespread the problem is, but especially for women with bladder or womb repairs using mess. The women have a class action now against the makers. We men watch with interest. I use regular deep massage to keep the mesh moving and I take low dose 10mg of Ametrypteline to ease the symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi GRWriter, I am awaiting a ultrasound scan as my doctor is not happy, but what gets me is my surgeon did not tell me about any of the risks and the pain I could be in with having the mesh to repair my hernia or that there is any other way to repair my hernia  
  • Posted

Ross, fear of litigation is pushing this issue under the carpet. Not all uses of mesh are problematic but too many are. Mesh removal can be a new problem so be well informed before you make any choices!!  I have a degree of control of my pain, enough for me to live a fairly normal life. I doubt I would ever consider removal. See what your medics advise.  Best. D
  • Posted

Hi Ross

This sounds oh so familiar I too had a mesh hernia repair I was ok for about 3 months then I got a sharp knife like pain in my groin area so bad I had to be taken in hospital now 1.5 years later I get pain attacks once a week in the area of my hernia In the end I’m on high pain medicine to numb the attacks but it tacks me 2 days to get over each attack aching and a bit groggy from the meds. I had my own business which I’ve had to give up and I’m not able to work when someone who loved my job upsets me still now. Still no solution but the info coming back from mesh repair is not good sorry to go on John

• Posted

yes me im 5 months out open hernia repair but in discomfort and pain when i sit for any length of time through nerve damage

• Posted

I am 7 months out of surgery and am just starting to feel some discomfort around the areas where the hernia was. I also have some skin discoloration, have any of you experienced this symptom before? It doesn't seem too serious now, but something is not right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.