Had keyhole hysterectomy 2 and a half weeks ago wondering about work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya was wondering if anyone has any ideas,about going back to work after having keyhole hysterectomy,as been told I should not Hoover etc for 6weeks and also been signed off for 6weks ,so am I expected to go from doing hardly any normal chores to going to work,bit worried as I don't want to take it really easy at home, then suddenly back to normal,as I work in a factory moving pallets .lifting

,and lots off twsting ,don't want to go backwards any advice would be good thankyou.x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, as you do heavy lifting at work then I think you need to discuss this with your GP or your consultant as even after 6 weeks heavy lifting could be a problem, I am almost 2 years post op and on occasion lifting anything heavy still has a bit of an impact, I'm not saying it will affect you in the same way but your insides will take a long time to heal 100% (you are also quite possibly a lot fitter than I am, I was 61 when I had my hysterectomy), I would definitely speak with your GP.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Lisa - Don't be tempted to do any lifting or twisting during your recovery period - even if you feel ok.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy and felt well from day one - no pain or discomfort.  At 2 weeks post op I twisted just removing a plug from behind the sofa and had a severe bleed later in the day.

I don't want to worry you but your job does not seem like the type of work you should do at all after your op.  I was told that I would always need to be wary of lifting even after a successful recovery period.

Best of luck - but remember not to overdo it especially in the early weeks.

Shani wink

• Posted

Hi I wouldn't go back right away unless you feel up 2 it i had a total hysterectomy with abdominal incision but also had 2 get cut from hip 2 hip & right up my naval in may & I am still suffering badly with pain no amount of painkillers help me I have a disabled child who I still can't pick up I can manage 2 do housework but very slowly as I have 2 sit down a lot inbetween which is annoying as I'm so used 2 being on the go at all times but the pain is horrendous & my stomach swells if I do 2 much at once you really need 2 rest as much as you can & don't even consider going back unless your ready your gp will continue to give you Sicklines for aslong as you need them so don't worry about going back to soon you have to listen to what your body tells you I'm still off work at the moment & my gp doesn't think I'll be back b4 the years out I know they give u a 6 weeks time limit for recovery but it takes longer than that some people are lucky enough to recover sooner but the majority of people don't you have 1 chance to give your body a chance to heal & you really need to take it or it will cause more problems for you I made that mistake & that's why I'm still in a lot of pain don't make the same mistakes I made it hope you start to feel better soon & wish you a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi Lisa, it's best to clear it with your doctor.  I am a farmer (51 yr) and had a total hysterectomy and ovaries removed in March this year! I am now 5 months post op and struggle with lifting anything over 15kg.  My gyneacologist told me 3-6 months before resuming my duties in full on the farm!  The problem with keyhole surgery is you feel so well - it leads you into a false sense of security! It's still major surgery and for us ladies sitting still has never been an option.  Take it easy, listen to your body and don't rush back to work.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.