had L4-L5 fusion ..L-5-S1 fusion C5-6-7 fusion and C-4 -C-5

Posted , 5 users are following.

I now have hip pain on left side that goes to ankle. Severe discomfort and can't sleep long or on side with out pain getting severe. Anyone have same symptoms

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes same symptoms as yours had a MRI scan came back with L5 DDD mine started in my ribs cage and went all the way down still got it I take amitriptyline for sleeping which works for me plus during the day tramadol are you on any meds? 
    • Posted

Yes. Loratabs 10/325  anti inflammatory  relaxin

And Robaxin  muscle relaxer. And Lexapro for depression.the hip pain on left side goes to ankle with sometimes back spas am.but sleeping I sometimes  get 2 to 3 Hrs a night. Saw pain management  doctor yesterday  and scheduled a 

Mri without  contrast due to all the other hardware from fusions.The doc thinks possible L-3 problem.

Having hard time living with this pain. I took a early retirement  in October I just can't take the pain anymore.

• Posted

hello, and a  happy new year.  could you please explain what l5ddd refers to. we don't get medical report backs like that in the uk. i am familiar with your medication through a friend recovering after a op for a broken femur. she takes them with oral morphine. and is still in a lot of pain. though i think an op that resulted i 45 stitches would do that.

• Posted

hello and a happier new year  sound like you have a trapped nerve, sorry i dont understand your referance to an l3 peoblem.  if it is, traction is a good way of releasing thr nerve followig a course of anti inflamortory tabs, it worked for me with diazapan as well. two good answers for pain are tramodol and oral morphine, the latter is quite addictive though and the prescribed doseage must be followed
    • Posted

The Doc was referring  to the next spot L-3 which he is thinking the next vertebrae  above my fusion of L4-L-5 is collapsing and causing the nerve to be pinched which is giving me the problem in the hip. I've tried the oral moriphine and anti inflammatory. I've been having these surgeries  since  2006  a total of 6 in the spine..the hip is just killing me mentally  and sleep wise. I am scheduled  for the MRI but I'm just sick of the continued  battle of faking and putting  on a good front for family and friends plus they can't comprehend the pain and life I suffer.
    • Posted

Hi Frank, you poor thing, I don't get much support at home either, appart from help with housework .He says I am fed up hearing about the pain, there is always something wrong with you. He has never had anything wrong with him, appart from shingles in the 15 years I have known him. The constant grinding pain is so wearing and makes you so grumpy. How do all you people get diazapam for the huge cramps? No chance on the NHS they say no. It would help so much in the morning when I can hardly move or speak for the first 15 mins.
  • Posted

Gee, I just had a l 3-4 fusion but I have to say I did have those symptoms also after surgery . They move muscles and go threw them when they operate . It takes time for the nerves to heal  . I am out 8 weeks and a lot of that is gone . I felt like I had fire in my leg, sometimes it felt like water  running down my leg . I still have back pain and have been taking 5mg of oxycontin twice a day . I am not sure how long it has been for you but I can say it sounds like you went through hell and I commend you for that .More than likely with that many fusions you probably have minor nerve damage in several places and I am NOT a doctor but have read it could take a year or longer for the nerves to heal up .
    • Posted

Oh, one more thing . My doctor told me walk, walk, walk . It helpstretch things out and breaks up scar tissue. It strenghtens your core and once you start, it feel good . He told me to walk as much as I could tolerate and try to walk an hour a day . I really do thing that helps and if you can get some muscle relaxers, they really help .
    • Posted

I do walk a lot usually  3 miles a day walking my Great dane.I have to say I feel best when moving but can't do that all day...I also feel worse as the night continues  and try to sleep  but always just a few hours due  to hip pain..I just hang on day by day and hope this MRI reveals the pain and can fix this...
  • Posted

I can't tell you how much I respect that your able to handle it . I think time is probably going to help . I also think that muscle relaxers and pain meds until it gets better .I take 5 mg oxycodone twice a day . Once when I get up and my back is stuck and at bedtime because my back feels locked up again or at least the muscles . I have to admit I get up a lot of nights in the middle of the night for a hour or so or untill I fall asleep again .  How long was it since your operation ?
    • Posted

Last surgery 11-2011.. was fine till summer ended.I do so much better on warm  weather  here in Atlanta.  Now that it's cold and can't use pool hip pain is in tolerable. I retired from being a mechanic from Delta Oct 2014 this year,due to chronic pain it helps but afraid I'm going back under the knife due to hip problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.