Had Meniscus surgery and now another tear

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had meniscus surgery 3 months ago and still having tons of pain my doctor sent me for an MRI and it shows a meniscus tear how is this possible?! Isn't that what they were supposed to have fixed?! so frustrated. Also now my knee cap has possible HO (extra bone growth) and causes me so much pain going up stairs. They mentioned i may need to have a kneecap release. Am i going to have to have surgery again? Has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

yep. happened to me. he fixed one tear and missed another. the one he missed was in the joint. there was more damage than he thought. mri caught one but not the other. he actually fixed the one the mri missed. second time he fixed the tear, found more damage as well. plus was still tissue floating around. got that out. ground material off my knee cap. usually they remove material from underside of your cap to make room. most times it works. sometimes it grows back and they have to do it again.

• Posted

hi, had a meniscus repaired and my fat pad removed from under the kneecap in June, I am still in some discomfort...especially when using the stairs.

• Posted

yes, i had arthroscopic knee surgery to clean up under my knee with lateral release(cut the ligament) in march. i was not impressed with the release surgery as my knee has a lump there now, and i too was just told i have stuff under my knee cap again requiring partial knee replacement. my right knee was better after knee arthroscopy, but i did not have lateral release, thank goodness. i wish you luck.

• Posted

i had the surgery originally in 1986. had it redone twice since then. they never tell you the problems you will have after they open the joint up. season changes are painful. weather changes are painful. stairs are painful. lack of cartilage has cause thigh bone to crack up.

• Posted

A middle-aged person gets knee pain while doing something active, and sometimes a pop or shift is felt. The knee swells and becomes painful, and activity is difficult.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.