Had my first case of Shingles when I was 12 years old

Posted , 4 users are following.

you read that right....I was 12. Since then, I've had two additional documented cases and hundreds of flare ups. With a flare up, I have no blisters, no rash and no crusting over. Only pain, burning, sensitivity to clothing, blankets, shoes...Recently my legs have started twitching  (in the past 6 months) uncontrollably and it's exhausting. In the past 2 months this has moved to my arms as well. I was at a loss, my dr's were no help. I'm on Amitriptyline for something else but it is having zero effect on this issue. I am simply at a loss and in pain. It affects work, road trips, vacation...everything. As an artist, you can imagine the horror when I experience an arm twitch while painting! I researched and researched and then a friend recommended looking up Postherpetic neuralgia and what!? That sounds like me!? So...I still need to bring all this up to my dr (the suggestion of Postherpetic neuralgia) but I'm also looking for advice so that when I approach the dr, I have all my "ducks in a row".  Any advice is welcome!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dreamerbee,

You may have PHN, but the loss of motor control in arms and legs is not PHN. PHN affects only the sensory nerves. If you do have PHN, the “flare-ups are common, nothing to be alarmed about, but as you know they are very uncomfortable. PHN gets less intense with time. Look on other threads on this site to find things that work (there’s even one named “things that work”). 

• Posted

If you experience neurological issues like trembling, loss of sensation and so on, ask your doctor to be checked for MS. (I am a little puzzled why they haven't already).

I am not saying you have that too, but MS does tend "move around" and come in "attacks" that can last a few days, to go away again.

(the way to check to MS is usually from MRi and spinal-fluid analysis)

I wish you all the best concerning this, let's hope it's nothing.

• Posted

Yes, PHN is not fun. I have had it for about 4 years. Like my neurologist say, "You just have to suck it up." Lidocaine helps. Gabapentin helps. Neither cures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.