Had my first physio session last week

Posted , 3 users are following.

This Saturday will be 6 weeks since my op I started physio last week which I was given light tummy exercises to do by pulling my stomach in and out sitting up and laying down. Whilst I was there she told me about why my op was performed by an open cut instead of key hole. Apparently my uterus was very hard to find under key hole, my bladder was stuck to a lot of adhesions and one of my tubes was stuck too. I'm doing some walking which I need to increase daily. My hips and top of my thighs do hurt after but I make sure I rest. I am doing what my body tells me but I'm getting fed up now can anyone give me any tips on what I can do to keep myself occuppyied.

Thank you x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi there Denise, I totally empathise with your frustation. I had an abdominal hysterectomy at the end of August. Once the wound healed I just wanted to get active and get my life back but it was slower than expected so patience is the key! I was a fit and active runner prior to falling unwell with fibroids then subsequent surgery.

I booked a PT but she would only let me do basic strengthening exercises...she was horrified my consult said I could run!

I tried to book a well woman physio who I knew from running injuries but she wouldnt see me until 12wks post op as she said the insides needed that time to heal. Her proper hospital job is dealing with prolapse etc and complications after gynae type surgery and she explained why it was vital not to push the body while still healing inside. Wasn't what I wanted to hear but she was right.

Like you are already doing, listen to your body. I tried upping my fitbit steps to kind of stretch myself but my hips etc got sore when I pushed it. Your recovery is moat definitly a marathon, not a sprint! I struggled but 6mths on, I'm glad I took professional advice. I feel great now but remember how bored I was. Still need to nap now if hard day at work or too physical. Be kind to yourself and most of all be patient. Best of luck with your recovery, DEB

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Can I ask when did you return to work? I work in a school as a teaching assistant and am in class, dinner hall (picking trays up) and out

• Posted

In the playground. My nurse said to me 12 weeks due to my job but I'm getting messages that they think I will be back next week which in no way am I ready as I'm not even driving yet.

Xx

• Posted

oh my goodness, no way could you return next week. I'm a primary school teacher and stayed off 5mths, knew that when I returned it would be full on (its is!) I find that I tire easily (which i didn't expect!)

Stay off as long as you can and don't be pressured into returning too soon. You've had a major op and will need to give yourself time. Just walk etc when you can and listen yo your body x

• Posted

Thank you dm2136 for your reply.

Yes your right it is full on, I just don't want to return back knowing that I can't do much at home! Children run up to you or barge past you in the corridor and they don't know what's happened. I go to my Dr next Monday and will tell him what I am like at the mo and I'm sure he will do another certificate.

I just have to take every day as it comes.

Xx

• Posted

hi hun

I had my tvh last January and I made sure I did no housework,lifting ir bending for 3 months.

I concentrated on rest and healing.

short walks daily, reading, swimming when sll yiur stitches are healed if you enjoy that sport.

it's very hard the early weeks but if yiu look after yourself and take it slow you will be fine.

I found it very boring but it has to be done.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.