Had my gallbladder taken out yeaterday and have sharp pains when exhaling while laying on my back

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sharp pains while exhaling while laying on my back or my right side. What causes this and is it normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello!

This sounds like it's the pain from the gas that they pump into you whilst you have the op. I don't know for certain of course but I had mine taken out on Monday and experienced similar pain. It actually helps to walk around (albeit slowly) and drink mint tea, all of this helps dispell the gas and will make you more comfortable. Feel better soon and remember to take it easy!

Anna

• Posted

Hi

Most of the time it's the gas they use to inflate your tummy while they operate.

Moving about helps as does peppermint tea.

It will ease up after a few days normally.

• Posted

Totally normal, I started to turn a corner at day 12. Hang in there!
  • Posted

First three days (w/o any pain meds, by choice) were worst - turned a total corner with all of it Day 10 post op - you just had major surgery and it WILL hurt for awhile, even if it is treated as Out Patient surgery - start very slow with foods, liquids, still stay LOW fat until you can handle more - and if things get worse by all means call your health care provider - praying for you today:-)
  • Posted

Yes it's very normal... You can expect some pain like this for a few days , it will lesson as you heal.

Use the pain relief they should have sent you home with. You will be sore for a while. 

Thée is gas, you have been jiggled about etc etc. 

So rest up and look after your self.

But it all gets better 

😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.