Had my op!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had my op on Tuesday 7th February now it's Saturday 11th February early morning.

Got moved from bowel ward yesterday teatime to a women's surgical ward. Very quiet here, no beeping machines disturbing sleep so that's good. Didn't feel that well during the night. Freezing cold, & horrible sensation of room spinning. Blood pressure good no temperature wondered if I was dehydrated? Been emptying Stanley myself but now have to have nurses measure how much passing. Too much just as bad as too little apparently. Monitoring what I'm drinking as well. Pigged out on small jacket potato with grated cheese( not to eat the potato skin) & small raspberry mousse for Friday supper- woo hoo! Then had lot of stomach pain trying to shift gases etc. That will teach me. Slowly & small amounts! Anyway this morning have showered early, obsessed I'm smelly, & I'm enjoying a mug of tea. Still streaming with cold which is a pain & more annoying than bowel. Life is strange isn't it?!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi bustergut1,

Still early days, I guess, but it's a steep learning curve from what I understand. You've underone a major operation and losing your colon must be a trauma forn the body - and the mind too, irrespective of whether you're consciously aware of it. As you say, life is very strange at times and we can do no more than face it head on and deal with its ups and downs as best we can. To repeat what I wrote yesterday, you're an inspiration and will be giving great encouragement to others experiencing serious health issues.

I wish you a speedy recovery and a great life still to come.

Pete  xx  

• Posted

Hi 3pca

Thanks for your comments.

Really appreciated.

B x

• Posted

How do you feel? How long you in hospital for? You sound quite chirpy which is good. My auntie had her colon removed yrs ago and she lives a normal happy life. I suppose it will take some time to get used to. I hope you have a speedy recovery xx
    • Posted

Hi kelly58419

Morning early Sunday 12th 6.30am. Had better nights sleep. Saturday early evening my cold & annoying cough caused me to slightly split an area on my lower abdomen

. Area was sore & tight probably due to a previous unrelated op 13 years ago & scar tissue being there. A few steri strips & dressing sorted it out. I have to be able to change Stanley the stomas bag on my own then checked today. Managed it yesterday. Tomorrow (monday 13th)the stoma nurses back on duty so they will visit & I'll show them if I'm doing it right! They're also monitoring the output from bag. I'm drinking fizzy salty phosphate(new), plus normal meds-gastro tablet, calcium, & my steroids still same except increased from 20mg a day to 30 for now. Still very tired. Had only husband & daughter visit first 3 days & 2 friends separately yesterday. Completely diffifferent to how 'I'd planned' it would be. Loads of friends saying they'd be in to see me! They want to but you have to pace yourself & rest or it all gets too much. Everyone

says I look really well so that's a bonus!

• Posted

Morning,

I know its s major op but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. I dont know your situation but I've heard a few people who hve had the op and say it's changed their life for the best.

I can imagine how tired you must be and its good you've got some sleep.

I suppose it all takes time to get used to. Take each day as it comes xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.