Had my results back

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been to the doctors and they’ve said I’m board-line b12  deficiency but I have all the symptoms so they’ve gave me some tablets to take 3 times a day between meals how long around do they take to work? I can’t see a difference yet it’s only been 2 days 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 you are having starts repairing the damage done to your nervous system and your brain starts getting multiple messages from part of the body it had "forgotten about" or lost contact with.

I sometimes liken it to a badly tuned radio on which you have turned the volume up high trying to catch the programme you want when all of a sudden the signal comes in loud and clear and the blast nearly deafens you.

A lot will depend on the severity and longevity of your B12 deficiency as to how long before there is no further improvement or recovery. Some symptoms will "disappear" quite quickly whereas others may take months or even years.

There is no set timescale as we are all different.

Has your doctor given you any idea why you are low on B12 as there are many causes and if you have an absorption problem with your stomach the pills may not be effective.

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. Thus you need to be tested immediately if you develop the symptoms described  in this chapter. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications, or infections such as h-pylori that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.  

• Posted

Hi thank you for the information, my doctor didn’t tell me why I’m low because he said I’m only board line b12 but he gave me the tablets to take and in a month go back for another blood test to see how things are he said if it’s ok I’ll stay on the tablets. My symptoms haven’t really gone yet but I haven’t been on them long 
    • Posted

We store Vitamin B12 in our liver and normally have several years worth in stock and like a car battery gets re-charged every time the motor is running so too does our stock of B12 when we eat animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, seafood,poultry and dairy produce which are the only "natural" sources.  If we don't eat enough of these foodstuffs the our stock of B12 gets "used up" we become deficient and that is when damage is done to the myelin sheath which surrounds our nerves and causes the neurological symptoms you are suffering now.

.It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 you are having starts repairing the damage done to your nervous system and your brain starts getting multiple messages from part of the body it had "forgotten about" or lost contact with.

I sometimes liken it to a badly tuned radio on which you have turned the volume up high trying to catch the programme you want when all of a sudden the signal comes in loud and clear and the blast nearly deafens you.

A lot will depend on the severity and longevity of your B12 deficiency as to how long before there is no further improvement or recovery. Some symptoms will "disappear" quite quickly whereas others may take months or even years.

There is no set timescale as we are all different.

Come back and tell us the results of the test in a month's time  It will be "skewed" because of the supplement you are taking and will be of little value or use unless it comes back LOW

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years.

I wish you well.

• Posted

I take cyanocobalamin tablets from the doctor 3 times a day I’m still convinced it’s something more serious than b12 deficiency but I think I’m suffering from health anxiety 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.