Had my sigmoidoscopy today wasn't half as bad as I was expecting

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and Had my sigmoidoscopy today and just wanted to say it was ok! I am someone who sufferers really bad with anxiety and panic attacks to the point all week I've been crying as I didn't want to have this procedure! It wasn't half as bad as I was expecting! It was uncomftable and sometimes painful but nothing unbearable what worried me was all the negative comments I seen on here of people's bad experiences, but anyone that has this procedure done ask for sedation as this helped me out a lot smile I was in for 5 minutes and it was done was in recovery for 20 mins then back home within an hour and a half! I think the worst part was before the procedure having the enema and having to hold yourself for 5 mins lol! Everyone has a different experience but my advice is don't listen to all the negative ones as its different for everyone that's what worried me a lot and nearly made me cancel but so glad I didn't as it gave me so much reasurence having it done had a nurse by my side the whole way through talking to me time went so quick so guys don't put it off if you've been advised to have one I would go for it!!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad to hear that your experience was good and not bad . But if this is a factor I read one of the post that many have stated , giving the circumstances of your condition plus your age (you're very young) maybe it's less for someone your age ? I'm 38 , and I have been going through issues ever since hemorroids were the culprit. I hope I'll be ok , because I hate to admit that I'm scared .

• Posted

Hey smile

The procedure was very uncomftable but nothing I couldn't bare with I think the point I was trying to make is that if a doctor says to have it done then have it done as it could save a life reading all the comments really scared me and made me have massive anxiety/panic attacks and I ended up crying on the phone to the nurse as I told them I didn't want it. It's not the nicest of things to have done but at least you will find out what's wrong and appropriate treatment can be put in place it took no longer than 10 mins when I was in there you will be fine smile honestly just think once it's done that's a huge weight lifted off your shoulders then I would deffinatly ask for sedation though I had light sedation and I do think if I never had it I probably would be saying different lol but honestly the sedation worked good xx

• Posted

Thanks Rebecca,

See that's the thing I talked to him about sedation , he said no. That it's not needed because he's only focusing on the lower rectum which is where a lot of my symptoms are currently are . Is there an option to tell him please don't go more than what you are suppose too . If I may with all respect what was your issue ?

• Posted

They said to me that sedation is not needed for this procedure but I had sevear anxiety and panic attacks so I explained this and they said that they can give it to me but they don't say it because it's not needed I would ask again and just say your not comftable without sedation see if they say anything different I went to have my sigmoidoscopy because every time I eat I'm straight in the bathroom been quite unwell and then I noticed bleeding too so they wanted to just check everything out I would deffinatly say somthing about the sedation and even say you've spoke to people that have had it done that have been sedated just as it would calm them down from worring xx
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your condition. Are you better now ? What was your diagnosis? My pain is after defection , I get a burning , stinging pain , some abdominal cramps . Sorry for the details. There's no bleeding . Thank goodness ! If sedation won't be an alternative, I hope I can tolerate this procedure and be fortunate as others have , that they didn't go through anything . Let me ask you , is this test accurate enough for them to diagnose right away the problem? Or will they suggest a colonoscopy instead ? Sorry for the many long response . I'm just very anxious ! Thanks
    • Posted

It's fine Lol that's what this page is for to help others with there experiences smile I'm still the same now they couldn't find anything the surgeon will tell you while your in there what the problem is if he can find it..... Mine might be down to food and intolerances which my diatition can help me with but I have the same symptoms as ibs so I'm going to mention that when I next go and see him, they never mentioned a colonoscopy to me because what he seen was clear not too sure on that one what I would say though is deffinatly don't put it off they might find somthing they might now but it's always worth checking out I look at it as it could save your life xx
    • Posted

Thank you ! You're kind . Not like that Suzy woman that made her smart comment back to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.