Had my TKR April 20th 2018. New to this and how long till I can get sleep without pills ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have PMR so very weak on my right side that I had done and causes pain. one PT says I am doing great and will not need to see them much longer and the other one(yes I have 2) make me feel lacking. A lot of behind knee pain and some stiffness.Been sleeping in a recliner but want to go back to my bed. Can not stand it when sheets or blankets touch. Seeing my surgeon next week to talk about when we should do my other knee or hip.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my TKR in Janurary of this year, and my knee still hurts, swells and if stiff.  I still can't sleep either, although I have graduated from the recliner to my bed.  Wish I had never had this surgery.

• Posted

So sorry you wish you had never had. Dr. told me one year for total recovery.   I am going on my 6th week and have less pain than I had before. Hate the pain behind the knee and the stabbing pains that come and go. I do all of my exercises and elevate and  ice. When my muscles hurt from walking I bring out the heat. I get very frustrated as all do. Sometimes I take a day off called sanity days. I regret it after I do. One of my friends said do not sip a day and do all of your exercises....Yeah okay
    • Posted

Doing the exercises is important but when you have pushed it a little too hard or at therapy they worked you harder then your use to right or wrong I will take a break. I may not totally do nothing the following day but I will definitely not push it either. When I was in therapy there times once I got home I could hardly move and the next day was just blah so I would take it easy do some stuff maybe take a short walk but in general try and keep it light. Yeah and I know you should not do that but come on when it hurts sometimes taking a break is not a bad thing either.
    • Posted

I agree. How can you bend or straighten a big swollen knee? REST.
    • Posted

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I have past the 6 week mark and things are getting better. Much less pain and found that naps are my friend when it comes sleep. Doing all of my exercises and am walking. Leg does not swell as much and am massaging. I have a ways to go but can do some cooking and cleaning again. A little at a time. I have to be careful of meds as am on Warfarin for life and Gabapentin for my back and prednisone for my PMR. Hope to be off the preds soon. Thank you again e veryone for your help. I have a hip and the other knee to go.
  • Posted

"How long..." is an irrelevant question because no one can give you an answer.  The Zen response would be: "As long as it takes."...and a TKR is the most Zen of all surgeries.  There are no expectations...there are no timetables.  "I will be better when I am better".  That's it...accept it...own it...

OK...enough metaphysics.  However, the premise still stands.  You take the meds as long as you need them.  Getting off of them gradually is called "titration" where you take less each dose over time until you're off them.  If you are on heavy duty opioids (Percocet, Vicodin, Norco, Codeine, etc.), the transitional drug between them and plain ibuprofen is one called Tramadol (Ultram).  It's a very mild opioid that works pretty well when plain NSAIDS don't quite do the job.

Talk to your doc about a titration plan to the Tramadol and then to the NSAIDS.  Will take a while...not an overnight thing.  Meanwhile, you can use some other strategies to help you sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

It's all temporary...you will be off everything before you realize it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.