Had my veins stripped 2 days ago on my left leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Happy to find this site. Had my veins stripped that were accumlating mainly inner knee area. Just rearranged my tensor, of course lots of blood with steristrips, i'm not doing too badly. The thing that knocked me out was the general anesthetic given to me through the spine area numbing waste down. OMG my back was sooooo sore around 12 hours later which lasted pretty much upto today early hours then the pain radiated down to backs of legs, now i can finally sit down comfortably. Definately would not go for that route again. Also don't know if anyone else has expereinced this but i've had about 6 hours sleep since the surgery as due to back pain been getting up walking around which i've found my comfortable than lying or sitting and not too tired at all. Another question also do we take those steristrips off or do they fall off by themselves. It's nice to know i'm not alone.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

In addition, i've seen lots of post re should i or shouldn't i get them out. I had been debating this for 5 years and looked into all kinds of treatment in Canada, laser, injections etc. within those 5 years after a busy day i would see the vein spread from inner knee lightly and slowly to my lower leg that was when i decided to get the stripping done before it got any worse. as mentioned i am in the very early recover mode and it scares me having to get those thigh high support stockings on and off. I'll keep you posted of my progress too bad we can't post pictures.
  • Posted

Re update on healing surgery 20 March/2013

Today is the 7th day in early hours from post op vein stripping left leg.i/m getting back into my sleep routine, my leg is all bruised with steristrips but not as bad as i thought. Those support stocking help lots @ $150.00 a pair. fortunately i can claim back money. i had a shower a couple of days ago which was a slow process covering groin area with plastic protecting bandage over stiching and not removing steri strips. The day i had a shower was a good day i hobbled around the house feeling pretty good, then in the eve before bed i got up from couch and had the most excrusiating pain in my thigh area , it was also hot, sore and extremely tendor where i felt a lump, thought it was an infection but on further examination it was the muscle hot and swollen , very difficult to walk and i as a few of you on this site i have a high pain toleance. Upon waking and walking around i have a sensation that my thigh is having a hard time straighten itself out obviouslym hopefully effect from the surgery in the healing process. (that's what i'm telling myself) The lesson i've learnt is i thought i was doing good in healing the day i had the shower and then that pain in my thigh put everything back in perspective that we have to to time for how bodies to heal.. and my surgeon said you should be ok to have a shower on the first day after surgery RIGHT!.

• Posted

Update on Varicaous Vein Stripping 6 days from surgery

Tue March 26th 6 days after sx i managed to hobble around the block with a galfriend holding onto her arm which was exhausting with lots of pain in my thigh. The pain was pretty much the same on Wed where my lthigh was black and blue feeling like i couldn't straighten it and if i did i was going to damage something. Thursday still painful and walking was no better so i called my surgeon telling him i had no swelling in my lower leg, but my thigh was terribly sore when walking, he said this was totally normal as the vein had been stripped and the vein was swollen advicing me to take anti inflammatory meds, apply hot or cold compressors and remain active. i had earends todo so drove to store and walked like a snail and was totally exhaused and light headed when i got home and went to bed for a couple of hours. yestereday 29th March 9 days after surgery am still sore and wearing my compression stocking, pottering around doing housework and even managed a walk around the block feeling stronger and more into routine, but still quite a bit of bruising in thigh area. It's Sat morning day 10 and i'm still sore but not as much as last few days,the pain is slowly getting better. As mentioned earlier i have a high pain tolerance, like a lot of you on this site and have not taken any meds since i got home from surgery. But i tell you this is the worse pain EVER to experience

• Posted

Update on Varicaous Vein Stripping 6 days from surgery

Tue March 26th 6 days after sx i managed to hobble around the block with a galfriend holding onto her arm which was exhausting with lots of pain in my thigh. The pain was pretty much the same on Wed where my lthigh was black and blue feeling like i couldn't straighten it and if i did i was going to damage something. Thursday still painful and walking was no better so i called my surgeon telling him i had no swelling in my lower leg, but my thigh was terribly sore when walking, he said this was totally normal as the vein had been stripped and the vein was swollen advicing me to take anti inflammatory meds, apply hot or cold compressors and remain active. i had earends todo so drove to store and walked like a snail and was totally exhaused and light headed when i got home and went to bed for a couple of hours. yestereday 29th March 9 days after surgery am still sore and wearing my compression stocking, pottering around doing housework and even managed a walk around the block feeling stronger and more into routine, but still quite a bit of bruising in thigh area. It's Sat morning day 10 and i'm still sore but not as much as last few days,the pain is slowly getting better. As mentioned earlier i have a high pain tolerance, like a lot of you on this site and have not taken any meds since i got home from surgery. But i tell you this is the worse pain EVER to experience

• Posted

April 02, 2013 update

still wearing compressions stockings, steri strips removed marks healing well on shin where dr had punctured to reach vein, still a bit of bruising. Today, 13 days after surgery was the first day i felt myself getting back to my normal self independently re driving, shopping and walking around without such a strong pain in my thigh which i'm told is normal healing process and i can tell you it feels good. The Dr did say i needed to take 2 wks off work and he's pretty much right on the ball. I hope my experience helps , as mentioned earlier i was sure happy to find this site after my surgery.

• Posted

UPDATE 21 APRIL 2013, A MONTH AFTER SURGERY

NOW BACK IN MY NORMAL ROUITNE WORK, ETC. WALKED AROUND A LITTLE THIS AM SUNDAY MORNING WITHOUT MY STOCKING, MY LEG BEGAN TO FEEL HEAVY AFTER AROUND 3 HOURS SO PUT MY STOCKING BACK ON . MY LEG FEELS SORE AND AWKARD, IT TIRES EASILY STILL A LITTLE BRUISED/WHEN I STAND TURNS A LITTLE PURPLE, OBVIOUSLY IT HAS NOT TOTALLY HEALED. I AT TIMES FEEL UPSET AND DISAPPOINTED HAVING THIS PROCEDURE DONE AS I FEEL IT HAS SLOWED ME DOWN AND CERTAINLY AGED ME IN MY ROUTINE. I AM NOT BACK AT THE GYM, BUT DO WALK A LITTLE EACH DAY. I HAVE A POST OP APT IN A COUPLE OF DAYS SO WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. AT THIS POINT I WISH I HONESTLY I HAD NOT HAD THIS DONE, .I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AND WISH EVERYONE WHO HAS HAD THIS PROCEDURE OR THINKING OF HAVING THE BEST OF LUCK IN RECOVERY.

• Posted

May 08, 2013 Well its' been 7 weeks tomorrow since i had my vein stripped from my left leg which is finally healing. I wore shorts a couple of days ago and took a walk in my neighbourhood hoping not to bump into anyone i know. exposing my leg to the sun has helped heal up the brusing and marks on my leg really well and as of today (first day since surgery) i would feel comfortable wearing shorts in a public area. My foot is still slightly sore and i have been selective in my footwear trying not to irritate it too much. Fortunately that is getting better each day. although i must point out if i keep my leg bent most of the night while sleeping i feel a slight discomfort when straightening it in my thigh area from where the vein was stripped, however i know that will get better as time goes on. It is nice to see my vein totally gone and feel confident showing off my leg. i am planning a 9 hours flight in a few weeks and will definately wear support stockings which really helped me LOADS in my heling process. I hope my comments help others going through the same surgery i went through as i was grateful to find this site in the process of my healing. Believe me, as you can see in my notes i had my dark and doubtful days thinking WHAT THE HECK DID I DO, but believe each day brings better and stronger healing and i wish all of you the very best.
  • Posted

I had vein stripping done 7/1/15. Its now 4 days since my surgery. I don't know what to expect. What are the signs of healing. I developed a fever of 100.4 and my groin area hurts like the Dickens. What's funny is the area around my incisions are itiching like hell. Is this one of the symptoms of healing. I have a healthy appetite and I have no problem going to the bathroom . I elevate my leg when sitting and lying. And I walk. I need to know what are the symptoms of healing.
    • Posted

Its day 13th since I had my veins stripped .I am wearing the compression sicks 30-30 mg daily.And I walk . however I noticed my incision on my groin is healing good and the ones on my leg are healing ok.however the incision on my ankle hurt like hell and my leg near my shin is red and so tendervwhen I touch. My post op visit is 7/17 .Is this normal healing
  • Posted

I had my steri strips off 4 days after the surgery. Some fell off before.

I had back pain and chest pain - I was prescribed an antibiotic in case I had an infection starting in my lungs from the breathing tube. They also tested me for blood clots.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.