Had POEM and having pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I had my POEM on 17 october 2019 and yesterday i got discharged from the hospital .

After the first day of surgery i started have fever and also pain on the right upper body which keeps on changing with the movements .

Any POEM experienced friends plz share your experience

also what are the post operation symptoms you people had??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It would be worth checking back with the hospital in case the fever is the result of an infection.

It is so soon after the surgery that they would be concerned to make sure that you are OK

• Posted

I had POEM done with the hope of relieving pressure and pain from Achalasia that was left over from scarring and lesions caused by Histoplasmosis in 2012.

The surgeon was only able to tunnel into the lower half of my esophagus because the top half was all scarred together.

Within 24 hours, I developed severe post op lung and kidney complications. The day after surgery I was rushed back to surgery for chest tubes (2) placement because of developing pneumonia and collapsed left lung from so much fluid. 2 liters was immediately drained off in surgery and another 6 over the next few days. I was in ICU for the next 4 days on heavy doses of pain medications and several antibiotic and antifungal meds.

A PIC line was put in to manage the multiple IVs and constant blood tests. I had daily blood tests to make sure that I had enough kidney function to manage the heavy antibiotics being administered. I had the chest tubes for a little over a week and was transferred from ICU to a regular surgical unit where I recuperated for another 2 1/2 weeks.

It wasnt until undergoing total knee surgery in 2018 that doctors determined that I also have CLL (Chronic Lymphacytic Leukemia) which is very likely the reason why things turned sour for me after my POEM surgery. Had doctors known that fact I would have been treated preoperatively with antibiotics that might have deterred the whole mess.

2 weeks after discharge I returned for postoperative xrays and a hole was found in my esophagus so I was admitted again and went to surgery the next day to suture or staple the hole.

I awoke in extreme pain to find out that suture and staples were attempted without success -the tissue fell- apart so a stent was placed. Fealt like I was swallowing through a chain like fence.

After a miserable month, I returned to have it removed.

Since then I have healed and able to eat most foods. Drinking lots a fluid with meals helps with swallowing.

Even though I had so many post op complications, I'm still happy with the outcome. My quality of life is better today than it was between 2012 and 2016. Its certainly been a healing process.

If you're running a fever and having pain I would certainly be in touch with your doctor and care team. A fever is the body's way of fighting an infection. And your surgeon would certainly want to know earlier than later.

God Bless! I hope this resolves for you and that the POEM surgery was successful and that you get the relief you're seeking.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience, Greeka.

Leaks in the oesophagus can be really difficult to cope with, but fortunately, after a prolonged period they can heal up (as mine did).

I know that complications can arise from surgery, and sometimes other conditions are in the background, like yours, but there are plenty of occasions when POEM and other surgery to deal with achalasia goes straightforwardly and is successful.

I hope that you manage to cope well with your troubles too.

• Posted

Thank you!

After healing I have been really happy having had the POEM surgery done!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.