Had spirometry test. Dr says is not great but I cant understand it😕

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI! Im a Bit lost at the mo, im 37, had a stress test done to look at a chest pain(went away after a few days,stress related) anyway heart is good but dr wanted to do a spirometry also. Results as follows: FEV1 Base 3.74, %Pr101, predicted 3

.70,Post 3.83,%pred104. FVC base 4.76,%pr107,predicted4.43,post4.85,%pred109.FEV1/FVC Base 79, predicted 81.post 79. It doesnt make much sense to me. I wont have contact with my gp for a month as I am travelling so im a little anxious to say the least.can anyone decipher these mathematical equations😕

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

the spirometry calculator is here :  https://patient.info/doctor/spirometry-calculator

scroll down the page for explanation of what abbreviations means.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Vee2,

Thank you for your reply. I used calculator before I initially posted. The results all say normal, which is why I cant understand why dr said it wasnt a good result, hoping maybe someone can see something which I cannot

• Posted

You need to see another Doctor. He should have explained everything to you Not make you worry.  My ex Doctor told me I had copd I was terrified went to another Doctor out of town did another spiromitary test it was fine no copd needless to say there test was much more advance than the small town I am from. You need a second opinion mine however ended up being really bad acid reflux it was causing me asthma like symptoms since I’ve been treating It is much better than it was but still waiting on gastrologist appointment to hopefully get me back to normal.  Go see someone else it never hurts when it’s your health to take extra time good luck and May the lord bless you
    • Posted

Hi Melinda thank you for advise and your comforting reply. So went to a private hospital and hat a chest xray. All clear. I also had another spirometry and is all clear. I willgo back every 6 months to make sure everything is 100%. Thank you again for your kind advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.