Had stroke in August

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 62 yr old woman had a stroke in AUG I wanted to know if there are any other ladies who have had strokes

I have had no follow up from my gp nor the hospital why is there no stroke clinics like there are diabeties clinics I FEEL I HAVE BEEN ABANDONED by the so called doctors

There has been no help at all for me

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm a 71 yr old male. I had a stroke on March 31. GP's all followed up. There is a very good stroke facility at Peace Arch Hospital that I was asked and encouraged to attend. I declined after it became clear that my progress was far ahead of the schedule at the clinic. My stroke was quite serious and I still have nausea and dizziness but the progress is very slow from here on and will take a long time. Good luck with your recovery. Remember it will be a marathon not a sprint. It will take time.

• Posted

get another doctor! follow up is key to preventing future strokes and other related health issues!

• Posted

Are you taking anti - Coagulants, I take warfarin and blood tests to monitor INR every 1or2 weeks, depending on the result. My stroke was 7 years. If you're on one of the alternates (dabigatran ) you should be tested every year at least. Go back to your Dr and tell him you want to be referred to the local Stroke unit for follow up.

Are there any Stroke clubs near you? you will be able to talk to someone there, if they are organised properly. Look on the Stroke Association website for information.

Best wishes

Pauline

PS let us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.