Had the gentimicin injection

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently less than a week ago gad the gentimicin injection, I am feeling pretty yucky with some spinning, vomiting and balance is this nornal

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It shouldn't last that long.  I had it the day I got the injection.  The Dr. gave me something for nausea and the next day it was gone.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my first gentamicin injection 3 weeks ago and my daily Ménière’s attacks continued for a week then stopped altogether. I have now had a second injection and continue to be attack free. I do however have awful balance problems and cannot walk more than a few steps. I am told this gets better but don’t know how long.

good luck

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul.  based on my personal experience with gentamicin injections I highly recommend that you schedule vestibular rehab....this will help you recover your full balance.
    • Posted

Thank you. How long did it take you to return to normal?

Paul

• Posted

Once you start rehab you will notice improvements quickly.  Rehab usually is once a week with daily exercises.  You will probably go to rehab for 7-8 weeks but improvements will be noticed weekly as long as you do exercises EVERY day between sessions.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I suspect it may depend on the frequency and severity of Ménière’s episodes. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I had a gentimicin injection a month ago. I had my first mild dizzy spell a couple of days after and have been having a few more in the past week or two, but no other symptoms, although my balance is a little off. I'm scheduled for another shot next week and I will follow tanney's suggestion to be referred to vestibular rehab. It is a little hard to distinguish whether I'm about to trigger a new attack or I'm just a little off balance as one of my symptoms has been what I call the drunken sailor walk in the past.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.