Had the Lapidus Procedure surgery done Aug.20th, 4 days ago.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had my bunion repaired 4 days ago.  Have two screws in my big toe and surgeon shortened the other toe next to my big toe and put stint in that one.  Still on pain meds, Norco.  Makes me nauseated so I am taking an anti nausea pill for that too.  So far i can not go 4 hours without taking a half of a pill (the whole pill makes me too sick) before my foot starts aching.  It feels just like there is nails pounded in my foot.  Oh ya thats right, there are! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about all the pain you are in. Are you able to keep your foot elevated higher than your heart? I lay on couch with foot on armrest with a pillow and that helped the throbbing. Are you in a cast? I've that foot or ankle area if you can. I think most of us felt sick with the pain pills and many switched over to antiinflammatories like naproxen after first 3 or 4 days. Good luck. Hope you feel no pain soon.
  • Posted

Ice is what I meant not "I've". Ice at least 20 minutes an hour the first few days and keep that foot above heart area as much as possible.
  • Posted

Laurastates is right, elevation and ice is important to keep the throbbing down.  Don't forget to take something to keep the bowels going - in the US we use 'Colace'.  Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water when you take the Norco.  Hang in there, the worst of it is almost over.  
    • Posted

Thank you Laurastates.   I am in the US too, MI.  Never heard of Colace?  Will have to look into it.  It is now day 5 and thought maybe that I could stop using this pain med Norco and stick to Aleve, nope not yet.  Had to take a half of Norco.  I am trying to research success stories on the Lapidus Procedure, but am not finding any?  Is there anybody out there that has had this surgery and healed up with great success? 
    • Posted

I have to say that my surgery has been a success. Had my right foot done, Austin (sp?) Method of cutting bone and the screw in the joint closer to top  of toe. It hurt and I felt yuck the first 3 days but mostly after getting up to use bathroom. Once I was on these boards and kept foot elevated constantly and iced the throbbing calmed right down. Once I switched to Aleve it helped inflammation. Its been just shy of three weeks and I'm walking with a boot and only swell if I overdue it.  
    • Posted

My surgery was a Lapidus as well. During the post op phase don't hesitate to push the doctor for what is best for you. I had cast claustrophobia along with heel pain from bruising and my doctor put me in dressings and a surgical boot that served me so much better than a cast which causes all the tendons to tighten up because there is no motion at all, and the air flow allowed my incision to heal up cleanly. Stitches out by day 19 and all dressings off by day 25. Of course I have been good about not weight bearing, not getting it wet, and doing the range of motion on the big toe joint starting with day 12 ( generally 2 weeks out). For all the bumpiness of my post op phase, I'm ready to do the other foot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.