Had the Nissen Fundoplication but still have LPR

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

i had the nissen fundoplication procedure last May (2014) and since then have had on and off swallowing issues. However I could eat normally and learnt to ignore the symptoms, just gIving myself a day or two off from normal eating and sticking to a liquid/soft diet when the symptoms occurred.  The last week though has been awful, constant sore throat, burning and difficulty swallowing. Feels like there's a huge lump in my throat. I was in hospital for 6 days and they said the nissen was in tact and the barium swallow showed normal function. I have self diagnosed  LPR although am going to see a private consultant for a second opinion. Just wondered if anyone else had had this, or something similar, post nissen? Thanks in advance for your replies! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to my world!!!

I had the Nissen 5 months ago and my LPR is worse.

Seen ENT who confirmed really red throat (I think that is what is causing my breathing issues as my throat feels really swollen). Barium swallow showed no reflux (!) and the wrap was OK. 

I also feel really uncomfortable at night when lying down. Do you have this? I'm sure that can't be normal.

Back to my GI again. Groundhog day methinks

Have you tried the Pepsin test (much cheaper than a private consultation)

• Posted

Hi There

Thanks so much for your reply! My surgeon is really not interested now he knows my wrap is ok and yes the barium was normal too. I even had a CT scan. You know mine is actually worse when I'm upright, rather than lying down but I guess it affects us all differently. I haven't heard of the pepsin test, will mention it to my gp when I collect the referral letter for the ENT consultant - can you tell me anything about it? Ps sorry you feel bad too sad

• Posted

Hi again

The Peptest you can do at home. It costs about £50 for 2 samples, Basically you spit in a tube which contains some liquid - send it back and they will analyse within a day or 2. If you have Pepsin in your saliva then you have LPR. It is an approved test. They diagnosed me with non acidic reflux.

Just google Peptest.

I have been going round from GP,ENT,GI, A & E for 3 years and no one seems to know what to do with me. The op was the last resort.

• Posted

Will google it, thanks. Yes I thought the nissen would be a Godsend but regretted it pretty much straight away. The PPIs were working really well beforehand I just didn't want to be on pills forever. I hate that I can't burp or be sick. The funny thing is I didn't have swallowing issues before surgery! My main issues were asthma and dry/sore throat with white furry tongue and heartburn. So no idea why this swallowing issue has come about post op. I feel, like you, I'm being passed from pillar to post. Anyway, googling the test now, thanks again x
  • Posted

Hi again

I agree. I have more symptoms now. The diarrhea went on daily for 3 months - could hardly leave the house. Now I have chronic flatulence (may or may not be down to the op), I am so uncomfortable at night that I hardly sleep. Still have the breathing issues. It is so depressing when you feel like you will never be well again.

On the positive side people have been cured. The secret is to try and pinpoint what started it. I have been advised that it could be auto immune, hormone or neurological which covers just about everything. Even baterial overgrowth can contribute. I have done so much research and communicated with so many people that I feel I know more than my consultants. 

I am just trying everything natural that has been suggested to me (keeping a diary) and see if anything helps.

Currently on cabbage water (yuk) and have ordered some kefir of Amazon. Both of which are supposed to be great for sorting out your digestive system.

I read somewhere that it all starts at the end of the digestive system and all backs up to throat level (bit like a blocked sink). That seems to make sense. So maybe by sorting the gut flora may stop the reflux.

Please let me know how to get on

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.