Had the osteoarthritis thumb surgery and have concerns...

Posted , 5 users are following.

First, I notice when I touch the thumb,  I don’t really feel it. It feels like I’m touching someone else’s thumb! Now I have a large knot beside the main incision. Doc says it’s a bone spur, and he didn’t think it was bothering me, so he left it alone! I don’t think I had it before! Anyone with these experiences? Thanks for your input

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Bone spurs are not uncommon, as the surgeon said, if it’s not bothering you don’t worry about it. I have had several, only one needs some work done on it because it was causing me a lot of pain,.
  • Posted

I just don't get it. Why would a doctor not take out a bone spur while he's in there already? Even if it wasn't bothering you he could have removed it to avoid another surgery to remove it if it does start to bother you. Personally I've never had thumb surgery but based on other surgeries I've had, the numbness is normal and the feeling will return slowly as it heals. My lower stomach is still a tiny bit numb from my hysterectomy incision which was 20 years ago and the doc said that's normal. But that was major surgery and I don't see that happening to your thumb. 

• Posted

Removing a bone spur is not a trivial task and involves a bit of filing down! It takes time and if its not causing pain it makes sense to leave it alone as they are quite common. 
    • Posted

I did not know it required so much work to get it out of there. I didn't know they were very common because I have one in my foot that doesn't bother me a bit and when the doctor discovered in she said that it was no big deal. Thank you for correcting me. It's always good to learn something everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.