had thr on October 1st cant stand sleeping on my back for the past two weeks.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I wish i could sleep on my side, never been a person who could sleep on my

back. Of all the difficulties that I have had to over come sleep seems to be my greatest

one. I hope I will be able to do this soon.****

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and had the same issue. I think most people complain about this. I found that having an extra pillow helped so that I was almost half sitting. Also, I ditched the pillow between my legs and rolled up a large bath towel and put elastic bands around it. It still stops you crossing you legs but, because it doesn't stick up into the duvet, it makes life a bit easier. If you have trouble getting your operated leg in and out of bed, hook a belt or dressing gown cord under the foot and lift the leg in and out. It's much easier and a lot less worrying. I recovered very quickly and am now back to normal apart from a little soreness really deep inside which is no doubt muscle and soft tissue still healing. You will also find you knee may swell and hurt somewhat. That's were all the trauma from the opeartion goes so don't worry if it happens. It soon goes. Good luck with your recovery. I hope it goes as well as mine.

• Posted

Thankyou Marion for the suggestions glad to hear your doing well, gives me hope I too will return to a somewhat normal life.

Take care

• Posted

I have to agree, its a problem that most of us have. Chin up, its not for ever. You can try putting a pillow behind your back so you are tipped just a little to the side. Make sure you are even, not twisted. Trick your brain.

D

• Posted

I hated sleeping on my back, but it's not for ever. I used to get to sleep ok, and then wake up a few hours later feeling really stiff. Then I used to prowl around on my squeaky crutches and try to loosen up again. Some hospitals are more flexible now, might be worth checking to see if you are allowed to sleep on your side.

• Posted

• I am a week post op. I was told i could sleep on my unoperated side as long as I put a pillow between my legs. I also have to be careful not to bring my operated hip too far forward. I have tried it and found it ok but always seem to find myself back on my back so i must be more comfortable on my back.
    • I was told that it is a new idea that some surgeons recommend.
    • It might be worth chatting with your medical professionals to see if they approve of it.
    • I hope you get some sleep soon.
    • Best wishes
    • Linda
    • Posted

Hi Lal, yes I was told that as well but due to some swelling remaining, ice ice ice, it gets too painful.

Looking forward to the 3month mark, one day at a time right.

Thankyou for your suggestions and support

• Posted

If you can sleep on your non- operated side, Amazon sells, Milliard Wearable Knee Cushion | Pull-On Pillow Stays in Place | Removable Washable Cotton Cover. It is much better than using a regular pillow,because this one stays in place and has a price of $8.99.

• Posted

Hello, I am a year and few months now, sleeping on my back was really difficult to get used to also, as I am a side or belly sleeper naturally. I bought a wedge cushion from Amazon and found it very helpful . I would say it took my about 4-6 weeks to be able to try sleeping on my right side with a pillow between my legs then eventually would try sleeping on my operated side but for only short periods of time and I was back on the wedge laying on my back. It takes a bit of time for the swelling to ease enough to be comfortable on the operated side, and not to discourage you but even today I find that sleeping for long periods on the operated side can be uncomfortable and find myself laying on my stomach with the operated leg straight and non operated leg bent to the side....good luck its definitely challenging to say the least.

• Posted

Hiya, i too was thinking sleeping on my back was going to be a major problem, i purchased one of these big U shaped cushion, my wife made a very crazy cover for it, and I've had no problems at all with sleeping on my back. I know I'm not laying flat, but what the hell, if i can get some good hours in snooze land, that's what counts in my eyes. 😁👍

Best purchase i made Pre-Op, hope ya have a good recovery, keep us in touch...

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 😊

Pete

• Posted

At the start of July, my hip replacement ceramic broke (put in wrong originally), and I had to spend 3 weeks on my back, without even getting out of bed BEFORE my revision operation, then another 6 weeks of sleeping on my back after the operation too!

Yes, I know just how it feels!

It seems like forever .... and it's the ONE thing we all seem to hate.

Stick with it, it's done for a good reason, to get the bone to knit into the new metalwork in the right alignment I am told.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi there,

I was a lifelong side sleeper pre - surgery, but thanks to the forum I knew in advance I would have to sleep on my back and practised for several weeks beforehand. In the first few weeks after graduating back upstairs to a double bed I slept at the other end of the bed so that I could lift my leg in easier with the loop thing they give you. Not sure my hubby was a fan of sleeping upside down though! Like all on here I only slept for short periods and struggled with a very sore heel due to the pressure on the mattress. Trying side sleeping was very uncomfortable both initially on the non - operated side, and then the operated side. Eventually things improved, and now I can sleep better on the operated side than the other side. Weirdly I find myself more often than not on my back on waking so I think it has become fairly normal, although it does make me snore!

• Posted

At about this same time period, I started halfway sleeping on my stomach and side.

I took a fluffy comforter and folded it into thirds, and then grabbing my pajama pants to support my leg, I lifted the leg and I rolled over laying half on my stomach, half on my side, and placed my operated leg on the folded up comforter. The thing is, I kept my leg plane to my hip. My knee and ankle were on the same plane as the hip. The new stem with the ball on it stayed level inside my hip, it didn't angle either up or down. It stayed level because of the height of the folded up comforter.

It was scary to do it at first, but once I did it I realized I was not at risk at all. I was not going to be falling asleep and accidently rolling over as I was already half way on my stomach. It didn't hurt me at all and gave me about 4 hours of sleep instead of 2 hours of sleep, which is all I was getting sleeping on my back.

• Posted

so hows the sleeping going,? im on day 6 and HATE sleeping on my back. i climbed in bed laying on my stomach and was thrilled until my reminder of what not to do stepped in. she has been great. I was wondering what your solutions were. thanks fred.

• Posted

Hi Fred,

Not much can be done, the only thing I could do was prop up pillows behind me so I am almost sitting up, thanks to hubby who picked me up a body pillow, and resting lower leg to hip on body pillow. I am learning how to sleep sitting up. Have tried body pillow to my left and turning slightly on my left side with op side aligned on pillow, works for a short time until pain comes knocking then it's back to my back. Hoping this is due to some swelling and once this is gone pain should be leaving too.

Just don't forget to ice as often as you can, this is one thing I forgot about, maybe if I started icing earlier this issue will be over.

Good sleep Fred, hope you will find some relief.

One day at a time

• Posted

im in PA.so sittin on the ice pack with my chair over the heater vent.fire and ice. Its so nice to not have the constant ach . good healing to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.