had TKR now need a new knee cap

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had a TKR IN may this year and a arthroscopic 2 weeks ago have been in pain forever

Now need my knee cap taken out and replaced in Jan 2017

Will it ever stop 😭

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your pain, did first TKR not work,
    • Posted

The operation was fine the recovery on the ward was bad I was given 3 times a drug I am allergic to!

i ended up unresponsive 3 time then ended up on HDU very ill.

i have been in pain and limping since it was done so they thought I had a infection in it and did biopsy on the 8th Nov 

Results were no infections but the knee cap need replacing 

i wish I never had the TKR 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. It's horrible to live that way. Prayers and hugs.

• Posted

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear this. I thought I was the unusual case. I had both my knees replaced in October 2014, while I was living in India. The summer of 2015 I was back in the USA and was walking up and down hills more than I had in India. There was considerable pain in one knee and I was concerned, so I visited an orthopedic surgeon to have it looked at. Sadly, he said that my knee caps were bad, with the right knee being considerably worse. I was confused because I was initially told that the knee caps had been replaced with the knee. The surgeon I spoke to was explaining that it's becoming more normal in the US for the knee cap to be replaced at the same time as the knee. And that generally the cap needs replaced within 10 years of the TKR. I was floored to hear this. Why on earth wouldn't it be a given that the entire knee and knee cap wouldn't be replaced at the same time! Basically he said I needed to not walk up hills or stairs. A year has gone by and I'm now back in India. I've not had the knee caps replaced, but my quality of life is still so much better than it was before the bilateral TKR. I'm glad I did them, not so happy that I was outright lied to. Eventually I will have new knee caps, but not until it's worse. I won't wait as long as I did for the knees. Yes, it was a blow, but I can't let that ruin the good that's come out of it. I've decided to keep a positive outlook.

Mo

• Posted

I was under the impression my knee cap had been replaced to 

I let you know if it takes the pain away x

• Posted

In January I'm having a Total Knee Replacement and Patella. I think they resurface the back of the patella with polyethylene rather than completely replace the whole knee cap. This seems to be a routine procedure here with most TNR's. I'm terrified, but hoping it works and I eventually am pain free 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.