Had to come off work anxiety and depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there have had to come off work with worrying obsessive thoughts and extreme anxiety culminating in a horrible break down felt tortured with pain in my head.Fortunately have an amazing supportive partner been started on 50 tablet once a day to be fair in a week I am not as persecuted as I was but am constantly anxious worried can't seem to make any decisions and feel trapped in my head with horrible repeating thoughts which I can't get rid of basically looking for a bit of support with anyone suffering similar which this medication as helped desperate to get my life back but can't think my way out of it anyone with any positive stories to keep me going thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was started on Sert 50mg about 12 wks ago for anxiety and depression (18+months) and was very reluctant to accept that it was my only option left after trying numerous things; acupuncture, counselling, mindfulness, and almost every remedy in Holland & Barrett. 

I was truly terrified of the start up side effects. 

To be truthful, I did feel awful for about 4 weeks when I first started, and my GP px a low dose of Diazepam to get me thro the start up increased anxiety (which helped a lot) 

It took about 6 weeks for me to feel brighter, and less anxious. This drug can take up to 12 weeks before their full effect is felt. 

I have just increased up to 75mg due to lingering 'morning anxiety'.

Hang in there, it's rubbish to begin with, but worth it in the end. 

Hoping for you x  

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying I had this same problem about ten years ago and unbelievably have been really happy over last ten years.Sadly my daughter has a serious life limiting condition and I have had a lot of stress due to this but was coping fine till a week ago when all of a sudden I started with obcesive thoughts which just spiralled and know I've had a bit of a break down as I have been unable to think properly and had horrible anxiety feelings the thought of going in work terrifies me at moment yet I have always loved my job.The more I tried to think my way out of the thoughts the more tortured I felt just absolute hell.Been started on 50 blue tablet been on it a week and to be fair I'm writing this where last week would have been unable to so there's slight improvement but can't concentrate on anything and all my happy thoughts have gone just awful when your in this state you cling on to any bit of positive story you can .Thanks so much for replying.

• Posted

I am so sorry about your daughter, it is little wonder you are having a 'glitch' at the moment .... 

The Sert will help tremendously once you get past the start up side effects; when I pop the pill out of its foil every morning I say to myself 'another day closer' to feeling better :-) 

Hoping for you x 

• Posted

PS - I would be tempted to ask your GP for a 'short term' prescription of Diazepam to help you get over the raised anxiety you get when you first start on Sert. 

I was prescribed 2mg Diazepam 'as required' and did not take many of the 14 I was issued with, but they did help me tolerate the bad morning anxiety, and it kind of 'helped' knowing I had an emergency supply 'just in case' x 

• Posted

I myself suffer from Harm OCD which became a lot worse after I increased to 200 mg (which is standard for OCD).  The thoughts were horrendous for the first few weeks but the depression and anxiety felt much better as soon as I started on 200 mg.  The thoughts are fading a bit now, thankfully.  The first eight weeks were absolutely dreadful but feel much better now; there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    • Posted

Not sure whether I've replied or not struggling to remember things but thanks for replying it's comfort to think your not the only one though I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy thanks for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.