Had to get off ramipril

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am looking to see if other people are having the same problems as me and what they have decided to do with their doctor's advice. I have left ventricular hypertrophy and the heart doctor put me on ramipril 2.5. I started in September with no problems but by December, right at Christmas, I started having every side effect possible. I had insomnia, rapid heart beat, dizziness, cough, thought I had a cold, and difficulty swallowing. When I went to the doctor she said to stop the ramipril and gave me a perscription for losartan. I am leaving tomorrow for Mexico and do not want to try a new medication until I come back. I wonder how long it takes to get the ramipril out of my body as I am still having rapid heart beats.

This last three weeks have been hell and the one night I never slept at all. Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My doctor prescribed ramipril for me when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure. The side effects were almost immediate. I suffered such chest pain and discomfort that I could hardly expand my chest to take a full breath. l ended up in A&E. I stopped using it straight away and within 2 days the pain was gone. l was then prescribed Losartan but started to notice my hair falling out. l went back to the doctor because it was not a price l was willing to pay. l was put on Amlodipine, 10mg, but suffered migrane like headaches with it, so l'm now using 5mg, which is much more tolerable.

lt's hard to know what to suggest, but maybe you could try Amlodipine if your doctor thinks it will work for you. All the best.

• Posted

apparently RAMIPRIL TAKES 3 weeks to clear your body , so i have been told by my GP

• Posted

Leaving today for Mexico and I am once again questioning my decison I just woke up with muscle pain and it is hard to swallow. I have been trying to flush this ramipril out of my body by drinking lots and eating fiber. Wish me luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.