Had total hip replacement surgery 10 days ago. Wondering how long to take painkillers?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Codeine doesn't agree with me so stopped taking it and am just on paracetamol. Is it likely that some degree of pain/discomfort will continue for weeks yet? Would love to hear what others have experienced.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

my experience is that at about two weeks i started to feel like i didnt need the painkillers too much (i also stopped codeine but had ibuprofin too as there seemed to be a lot of inflamation)

• Posted

my experience is that at about two weeks i started to feel like i didnt need the painkillers too much (i also stopped codeine but had ibuprofin too as there seemed to be a lot of inflamation)

• Posted

Stopped codeine after about 2 weeks but came off it gradually ( as per GP's advice ) continued with paracetamol and brufen until week 4.

• Posted

I had my surgery two weeks ago and feel that I could come off the painkillers soon. I take paracetamol during the day and additional codeine at night.

From what I understand, everyone is different when it comes to pain relief so don't worry about what other people are doing. Some people only need a week or so, others need the painkillers for many weeks - there are no right or wrong responses. As long as the pain isn't getting significantly worse you can stay on the paracetamol a while. Speak to your GP if you're worried. Good luck in your recovery!

• Posted

thanks Fran and Andrew - that is helpful to know.

I'm waiting for physio input to help me know whether I'm doing too much or too little exercise! Managed 2 lots of about 30 minutes today and feel pleased...

• Edited

Wow ! you are doing really well on the exercise front. I am now 5 weeks post op and manage 45 - 60 minutes each day walking. I think I probably over did it at first and would end up in pain, so be careful ! Frustratingly, since discharge, I am still doing the same physio as I haven't ( and not sure if I will ) be referred to a physiotherapist - don't know if this is the norm o due to Covid. My range and flexibility could do with improvement.

• Posted

Saw a physiotherapist yesterday. I showed him the exercises I had been given to do by the hospital. I think he was a bit surprised at how much I am doing and although he did not tell me I was doing too much, he was clear that I should not push it further. So, I might have been over doing it a bit. If you would like some physio Fran, try asking your surgery or GP to put you on the NHS waiting list. Or you could go privately.....

Has anyone got any thoughts about how to know when to go up and down stairs normally?

• Edited

I had the same experience, I'm 3 weeks in and after 2 weeks went to physio expecting him to give me more challenging exercises but he said just carry on, and if anything I was doing too much (which would explain my throbbing leg at night!)

He made the point that you've just had a major bone in your body broken! There's no rush in the first 6 weeks as long as you're doing your basic exercises.

I was pushing myself too hard because I saw so many examples of people online claiming that they were completely back to normal after a couple of weeks, but in fact these people are rare - just listen to your body. As for stairs, that'll all come in time.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your physio experience. I am 6 weeks post op and constantly thinking I should be doing more. This is reassuring.

• Posted

Yes good advice Mo, would like some 'tailored' physio. I am lucky enough to be having my 6 week post op check up face to face next week so will ask my consultant then. I am fairly active but still do stairs one at a time going up and down, it just feels too much of a stretch for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.