Had two joints replacements in my big toe.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Surgeon now advises to have the big toe fused, as the joint is coming away from the bone. Operation booked for 8th augest. Saw the surgeon on monday as I was rather worried about having the fusion done.I am not in any discomfort just get a tingling sensation which I have always had,also  the big toe has shortened due to the artificial joint coming loose. He realises my worries, and advised me ,that as I am worried to postphone the operation. He told me that the operation will at some stage need to be done. The joint could last like it is for 2 months or 2 years.

I cancelled the operation. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem was their artificial toe joint, now needing to be fused. I do know that these artificial joints do not last. 1st one was done in 2009 cant remember the date of its replacement

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I would be concerned about that too. My doctor made a statement in passing about fusing my 2nd and 3rd toes together, I thought he was joking.
  • Posted

Caroline,

Sorry to hear about your problem.  I had a big toe fusion about 3 years ago and although it will never bend again, I don't have any pain. Just a feeling of uselessness.  A non-union will limit your activities eventually, but it's a decision you must make.  I can't say whether I would do it again or not.  I love golf and until this last surgery in March, I've been able to play golf with no pain and if your right handed, it is the left foot you put the most weight on when striking the ball.  That is if you have the proper swing.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Are you saying that your big toe fusion turned out to be a non-union? I hope not. I just had my 1st and 2nd metatarsals fused with plates and screws on 6/28/16. My main objectine/concern is to prevent non-union! I have no pain right now and I'll be starting PT, I do not know what to expect there as I don't want him to touch my foot outside the brace. How long do you think I'll be up and adam?.

• Posted

Mary,

The first surgery was a non union.  I was released from that doctor to go seek another opinion.  That's when I had the revision and a plate and screws done that were sucessful.  It sounds like that's what you had done.  My first doctor did not use any hardware and that's why it didn't union. You may well be down for 3-6 months. Even if you feel no pain, don't take a chance on weight bearing.  

• Posted

Hi, I had a big toe joint replacement for osteoarthritis a year ago and the pain is worse now than before, surgeon recommends steriod injection under foot before fusion
  • Posted

I just had a 1st MTP (big toe) fusion on the 15th July. I have a plaster cast up to my ankle. After two weeks i had it removed and the consultant said it is looking good. He replaced the plaster and said i would go back in 4 weeks to have this cast removed. I was surprised and wonder what it will look like after 4 weeks! I am more worried about the different sensations and feelings i get and worry about it not having worked. I only potter around the house as that was what i was advised to do, i have a black velcro shoe to wear when up and about. My big toe often feels like it just want to curl under itself and 'collapse' but the plaster does keep it strictly in place. Can anyone else confirm that they get weird sensations and spasms in their foot, toe?

I had this operation to get rid of the pain in the joint. I had a chelectomy on the right foot 2 years ago. My consultant said that the cheilectomy provides flexability but the fusion eradicates pain forever so if you want to get rid of pain maybe consider the fusion but do consider the long recovery period which is at least 6 weeks in plaster so not able to take a bath, go out in the rain or even the dry. We have just hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross for £25 for a month to help with getting out and about! Not sure if this will help you but also wondering if anyone can remember the discomfort after the fusion op?

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Apparantly you're across the pond from me here in Texas, but all of us on this forum have foot problems and hope we can learn from others who have gone through similar circumstances. I had mid foot fusion in March, and just recently learned that I was the first 6 fusion patient my doctor had ever done. He's recognized as one of the top foot and ankle doctors in the USA so I guess I'm glad he did the surgery.  With that said, it's been challenging and I've been non weight bearing for 6 months. In a cast like you for 6 weeks while tooling around in a wheelchair the first 4 months; Then in a boot... and finally in a very ugly shoe. I did have pain, but used a polar ice machine everyday and night. I also had good pain meds and stayed down.  I used a bone stimulator that helped rebuild bone from the fusion. But don't ask me the name, because we can't promote products on this forum. I also had PT's called hydo-mat.  It also seemed to help with the swelling and pain.  Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

• Posted

I think treatment must differ here from America. I am 6 months on and have been walying on my mid foot fusion for 3 months although sometimes rely on 1 crutch when out walking. Still get some pain but it's early days yet.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I don't know what the difference would be in the USA, but I hope you have the same healing procedures we have here. I actually couldn't do anything but roll around in the wheelchair at 3 months.  I'm 6 months out and just now walking in that ugly shoe.  

I wish this forum had spell check.  I rely on it so much, even though spelling was my favorite subject and loved spelling bees.

• Posted

Treatment must definitely be different here in UK. I do hope i can go back to work after the 6 weeks in plaster! I know if will be stiff and sore for a bit longer but with overside pumps or something i hope to be more mobile ha ha
    • Posted

3 months - that is a long time. I feel your pain only after 3 weeks and i have another 3 more weeks of hobbling around the house and garden in plaster! I would have thought that USA were more advanced in medicine and operations than UK. But seems like the other way around!?
    • Posted

Ann,

I think I waited too long before I went to the doctor. As I said before I started a new company in 2013 and didn't do the surgery when doctor wanted me to.  I was promoting my new invention all over the USA and didn't feel I had the time.  I also had a TKR May 2015 and that took almost a year to recover.  I think the best thing we have in the USA is the bone stimulator.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.