Haemachromatosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone and glad to find this site.  My husband was diagnosed with Haemachromatosis back in 2014 he only found this out last week June 2017.  He never went back to the doctor and the doctor never followed it up.  Now looking a previous blood reports we see he was diagnosed back in 2014.  He had been feeling sick upon walking every day for 4 weeks and decided to go to doctor early this month.  He has lost just on 9 kilos over the past 2 months.  He has just started this week going to blood bank and has to attend once per week for the next 10 weeks to give a pint of blood.  His ferritin levels are 2200.  Is it normal to lose so much weight with this diagnosis?neutral

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

My weight would swing 20 lbs in roughly 3 weeks, I don't know if it's normal, but it happened so much I got used to it. The first couple months of giving blood are a little rough and can be disheartening, the ferritin levels were all over the place ( seems like one step forward, 2 steps back) but it gets better. I don't know what really caused my swings, but after about the 3rd month of phlebotomy, diet and exercise changes and medicine, my levels dropped to about normal range and I gained back and felt normal. Then cycle started again a few months later. This is just my experience, I'm on year 2 of treatment and I feel I've got mine under control, is he in his 30's ? Mine hit at 31 seemingly out of nowhere. Also, chill on Any alcohol and smokes (it sucks, I know) and limit stress. That helped a lot too. Hope this helps a little.

• Posted

He is 68 and has been a very big drinker all his life.  Drinking everyday.  He is constantly sick - is this a symptom of the overload Garrett82?
    • Posted

Unfortunately, yes. And with my ferritin high, i had such a high iron deposition i set off 3 metal detectors at the airport. All coming from my liver (was shown on mri c/the scan as well), so my liver had so much iron it couldn't process fat, protein, alcohol, sugar, etc. Properly. Need to cut back on all that. Next blood test have them test for lipase as well (pancreas enzyme). Does he have pain in his upper stomach area? Tough to eat? Abstinence from alcohol will tremendously improve his healing, though.

• Posted

One more question. Does he vomit green/yellow morning, after meal and at night?
    • Posted

I was a very big drinker and they thought I had haemochromatosis, I was seeing the gastro. But when I stopped drinking, it went back to normal.

How much does he drink?

• Posted

He says about 7 scooners per day.  Loves his alcohol.  He can also polish off  about 3-4 bottles of Shiraz a week in the evenings. 
    • Posted

Ah, Aus and it's many different measures for beer, all which vary from area to area. I once drove from Sydney to Cairns and I must admit, it was a pain having to keep adjusting to the different sizes. I take it this is the standard schooner, 15fl oz, about 3/4 of a British pint.

That would be about 5 pints (British) and two glasses of wine a day, so about 6 pints a day all in. That is a fair amount for someone his age. Weight loss and not feeling so good could be down to not eating properly. People who drink a lot, often lose their appetite due to the calories from the carbs in the beers.

I would have thought that would have showed in his blood tests, his liver should be squealing - it has no nerve endings so it shows no sign of pain. If he hasn't had a blood test recently, he should have one. That level of drinking is enough to affect his results.

• Posted

Good Morning Jenny, read your message and so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis.   To be diagnosed in 2014 and only now in 2017 to start venesections is not good.  Shame on your Doctor for not following up the 2014 haemochomatosis diagnosis.   The earlier the diagnosis the better when it comes to this disease.  The only treatment is blood letting.    Haemochromatosis has a multitude of symptoms and my husband was 67yrs when first diagnosed and found that he had diabetes melitus, barretts esophogus and a tumour on his liver which he had ablated at St James's in Leeds.    I would urge your husband to visit the Doctor and insist on full bloods, CT scan, the works and that way, you will know what, if any, damage has been done, especially as this diagnosis was left untreated  for a few years.  As you may have guessed, my husband sadly passed away four weeks ago and it is with this in mind that I hope you will ask your husband to seek all the medical attention available and wish you both all the very best, kindest regards Elizabeth (wife of Glyn Jones)   

• Posted

Oh Elizabeth, I am so sorry to hear of Glyn's passing.  I have been following and responding to his posts for some years, and my last post to him was to insist he go to emergency as you wanted him to do.  So it was too late for him.  I  did not hear how he went.  I have been overseas the last 6-7 weeks and out of touch with Patient.

My sincere condolences.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your kind message.  I know you had been keeping in touch with Glyn over a  long period of time.  I did manage to get him to go to the Urgent Care and found a fantastic Doctor there who fastracked everything and after an endoscopy it was found that Glyn had a tumour on his gullet, almost 2ins.  The consultation we dreaded came on 21st March to say that it was terminal, with liver mets nd lymph node involved too and a week later on my birthday we sat with the oncologist discussing pallitive chemotherapy.   Eight weeks later on the 28th May 2017 Glyn passed away.   He wanted to be at home and I nursed him at home to the end.     That was indeed difficult and a challenge but I did it and kept my promise to him. Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Macmillan Nurses and Trinity Hospice were all outstanding.  Haemochromatosis is a disease that ideally needs to be diagnosed early in life but unfortunately Glyn wasn't diagnosed until he was 66yrs of age and the damage had been done by then.    I hope that you are keeping well and send you my best regards, Elizabeth

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that Glyn has passed away. Sending you my very best regards :-(
    • Posted

My husband so far has only had an upper abdomen ultrasound - all came back normal by viewing xrays.  He just had a cyst on one of his kidneys - which he said was "nothing".  His liver and pancreas appeared to be of normal size. 

• Posted

It is criminal that diagnosis of haemochromatosis is delayed so long.  It is not a new disorder.  My gp ignored my symptoms for 9 years after having a hysterectomy and obviously I started loading iron straight away.  Google was not around back then, so I could not even search for myself.  Then my hips broke up because my blood was so thick with iron that it could not get into the fine capilliaries that feed the bone, so the bones died.

Looking after Glyn those last weeks would indeed have been a very hard challenge for you - so sad but still requiring all your strength.  My husband had Hodgkins Lymphoma with chemo and radium treatments so I can emphasise with you.  But my husband's cancer was survivable, and he did.

I am now waiting on news if my cancerous tumour from 5 years ago has metastasized to bone cancer - we with haemochromatosis are prone to cancer.  So much damage was done because my dr was in denial about my haemochromatosis.  I want to thump her but she is no longer in my town.  And honestly, she was the best female dr around!  But I am a lot more assertive with drs now.

Ever since, I am now involved in creating awareness of haemochromatosis, with drs when I can, talking to people running a support group, and being involved in campaigns locally, and attending conferences to gain as much information as possible about it.

The Patient haemochromatosis community will miss Glyn.

• Posted

Hello and thank you for sharing your experiences with me.    I hope and pray for you that your tumour from 5 years ago has not metastasized   I too get very angry with Doctors who ignore symptoms such as arthritis, insomnia, impotence, constant clearing of the throat, and long gone are the days when we sat there in front of Doctors and listened to every word in the hope that they know what they are talking about.   Now, it is important to have an input into the consultation with the Doctor because illnesses like haemochromatosis have only one treatment, blood letting GP's just don't know enough about this disease.  I remember when Glyn went for his results to the surgery and the doctor asked him if he was an alcohoic, he said no, I'm not, and It was then he told him his ferritin level was way too high and this would need further investigation.   And then of course, all the problems surfaced.   The presdent of the regional haemochromatosis society telephoned me to invite glyn and I to the AGM and Lunch in early May and I had to explin what was happening.   He was so sorry.   He said he would be speaking at the Meeting and in light of Glyn's experience, he would emphasise the importance of early diagnosis. Haemochromtosis can indeed be a silent killer.

Take care and best regards to you both, Elizabeth

• Posted

Thank you for your kind message.     It has been a difficult time but somehow you manage to get the strength from somewhere and cope.    I shall always have happy memories, which are priceless.   Kind regards Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.