Haematoma after hip replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have a large swelling at the side of my operation scar, sort of in my bum cheek and running into the top of my thigh at the back.  It's painful to sit on, lie on and painful when I walk.  I feel it is holding back my progress.  My consultant said it looks look a haematoma.  When I asked him if it would go away he said "Hopefully, but it doesn't look too bad".   Obviously how it looks is not my first concern rolleyes

I have been on two courses of antibiotics with no positive results so accept the fact that it is not infected which was my first worry.

However, it's still painful.  I saw my physio last week and told him about it. When he looked he said he thought I was going to show him something the size of a pea, but agreed that it was big.  He said he hadn't seen anything like it before.  He has advised me to keep going back to the doctors because as a post-op patient I am still 'in the system' and if a need a referral it will happen more quickly.  He says my hip is fine - I have a good range of movement and he has advised me to treat the hip replacement and the lump as two separate issues.

I am very worried about it and I wonder if anyone else has had anything similar.  I am also worried that no-one is taking it seriously.

I will keep going back to the doctors and saying how concerned I am until someone does something about it.

Cels Xxx

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Cels l was told he did not want to see me for 5 years. But if anything happened in the next while to contact him directly. I have his mobile number and his secetary. If l was you l would not wait until friday l would get in to them tommorow. Please you don't want to muck about with it get. It seen to asap and if gp is not helpful get in contact with the surgeons secetary. Don't hang about it could get worse before friday. Hun i really think you shouls not leave it now you have explained it.

Love

Laura xx

• Posted

I do have the secretaries number.  Maybe you're right and I should either go to the GPs or get in touch with her tomorrow?  I really don't know what to do?

I haven't been able to get on the site all afternoon.

• Posted

Yes, it just wouldn't load for me.  I even switched my coputer off and on cheesygrin
  • Posted

By the sounds of it Cels i'ts getting worse not better, they must of dealt with this before with other patients, so surely they can give more help.
    • Posted

You'd think so wouldn't you?  I'll mull it all over and decide what to do.
  • Posted

I had a huge hematoma that was as long as my scar if not longer. I looked as if I had had plastic surgery with a butt enhancement. Surgeon was not the least bit concerned. He sad it would go away and it did. I hope thos helps.

Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb,

Thank you, that's hugely reassuring.  I was really hoping someone would reply who had experienced it.   It sounds just like mine.  Was it painful and how long did it take to go away? 

Cels Xxx

• Posted

I want to say about 3 weeks before it was completely gone. Week 2 I went to PT 3 x a week and they messaged it. Since I could not see it, I really did not pay much attention. I was much more concerned about my leg differential.

Hope this helps,

Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I'm 9 weeks this Thursday so quite some time later for me.  I haven't been offered massage but it's very sore so I'd be a bit nervous about that.

Thanks Xxx

• Posted

Hi Cels , yes I couldnt get on the site at all yesterday so catching up this morning . I would imagine they would not want to go in and do a incision and drainage of your haematoma as that wound could get infected and then theres a risk to the joint , altthough they would do if absolutely necessary . A drain wouldnt work as the clot would be solid. If not infected , which it sounds it isnt if theyve checked , then it should just go away in time . Ultrasound etc can help . I,m so sorry youve got this complication - such a worry and a nuisance . Let us know ehat your surgeon says xxxxx
  • Posted

Ps i dont think bits of the clot could break off an enter your system as its outside of you circulating blood volume ie not in your veins or arteries unlike deep vein thrombosis , pulmonary emboli etc 
    • Posted

Thanks Bini,

I was hoping you would see this and post.  Do you think I should try to see my surgeon about it? I donlt really want to risk infection by drainage if it will go away eventually.   I'm assuming it isn't infected because two courses of antibotics have made no difference.  The only tests they've done are examinations and taking my temperature and putting that thing on the end of my finger, all was fine.  The physio said it was 'contained' if that is the correct term so I'm assuming that, as you say, bits won't break off.  I will go back to my GP for advice tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Just answered and it wipedit off ! Lol, will try again . I do think you should see your surgeon again , its his operation and his complication ! When i was very worried about my leaky wound - weeks 1-4 - they did blood tests to look for infection markers ( certain proteins are raised if you have an infection ) so they should at leadt do that , am sure they only did it for me to reassure me , but my consultant was lovely and just added me to his outpatient lust evdry two weeks and followed me up himself. The oxygen sats monitor ( thingy on your finger ) jyst checks your pulse ( which can be high if theres an infection) and how well you are breathing . If the haematoma is contained then the body should break it down and absorb it in its own time , however it sounds big and its causing you problems so its reasonable for your surgeon to assess it , let me know what your GP says tomorrow xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.