Haemmorhoidectomy 8 days in

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys

Looking for some reassurance if possible!

Recovery is very slow. Other than the post BM bleeding easing right off, the pain after passing a stool is no better and the swelling is so much worse than before the op.

So far, there is no day on day difference. I go away in 4 weeks and would really love to know if I am likely to still be sitting in the shower tray with the water flowing for 15 mins and then having to lie down afterwards for a good while, or when I can expect more normal bathroom behaviours to return?

I don't have a check up before 6 weeks.

Thanks !

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

After 2-3 weeks I resumed a pretty much normal life. I know that may be rare, but just to let you know it is possible! 

I'm 6 weeks post op (had intenral, external and prolapsing tissue removed) and aside from the outside wound still being ever so slightly stingy on the odd occasion, I'm doing well. 

I hope you heal up soon - a quick recovery is possible! Good luck. 

• Posted

Hang in there, it will get better!

My experience was that things got markedly better after two weeks and I was pretty well healed after 4. I did have other complications as a result of the operation but not directly associated with the procedure.

Keep taking pain killers.

For under £10 you can buy a ‘portable bidet’ (also called a sitz bath) from Amazon. It fits over a toilet pan and should be a lot easier that the shower thing you are doing.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. I do have a portable bidet but find the shower tray better. Came off off painkillers a few days ago on an attempt to reduce some if the stool softener and so decrease the number if daily BMs. It's a fine balance!! I look forward to the 2 week mark!

• Posted

I find stool softener like laxido helps me. You can buy it or get it on prescription.
    • Posted

Thank you. Am taking lots if softener! Going us fine - it's the psin afterwards sad

• Posted

I genuinely didn't start having remotely normal bowl movements for a good 2 weeks and then they were still painful with a lot of bleeding. At around 4 weeks, still like pain and some blood.

• Posted

Hi, 

I am on Day 9 and still in pain. Still passing blood with BMs. STill hate the toilet. STill taking sitz baths and laying down aftewards. I am really looking forward to seeing my doctor for a 2 week check up. He told me I am going to hate him and he did not lie. I hate him. I hate him with a deep passion. I hate myself for not researching this before I got this surgery. I wish you well. I am looking for anyone who had a good recovery and the things they did to ease the pain and the loose stools and bleeding. I am also looking for those who have had this surgery and it has been years after and how they are doing now. Was it worth it? Cause right now, I don't think it was worth it for me. I think I should have just lived with my hemorrhoid that was external and hanging. It wasn't causing me pain but every once in awhile I did pass blood. I looked on youtube and saw the actual surgery on there and it is horrible what they did to us. I sending a virtual hug to everyone who has done this surgery. We need it. I need it. Good Luck with your recovery and I thank GOD for this forum. Wished I had found this before. I would never had done this surgery. Sorry to be so negative but it is the truth. 

• Posted

An uodate from me, now 16 days in. Hallelujah what a difference! I can now go to the loo, jump in shower fir a vlean up and that is it. Yes its still swolken and so, but no havibg to lie down and recover afterwards. I'm still taking lots if stool softeners so that I literally have to run to the loo each mornig and it just slips out - no way am I going to risk straining. So guys, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there

• Posted

Great to hear things have improved! Your experience was like mine in that in the first couple of weeks it feels like nothing is improving but then one day you realise things are gewtting better; a message of reassurance for all I hope.

• Posted

Hi Fiona,

I hope you're doing okay. It's a rough recovery and I'm keen to follow yours as I'm on day 7 of recovery.

I previously had banding done 9 or so weeks ago and while it successfully removed 3 internal haemorrhoids, I was left with one internal to external/prolapse sort of thing. I had a haemorrhoidectomy 7 days ago.

So far recovery is going well. The 5-6 day mark was definitely hell. My first 2 BM's made me feel like I wanted to pass out, vomit, I felt shaky... the pain after the first one lasted through to the next day. I think I actually popped a stitch after the 2nd one.

I can tell I'm recovering but I'm pretty sad because the swelling is so much worse than before the operation - which seems like a common thing that is said. I can't imagine it is totally going to shrink? But it also makes me feel like why did I bother having the operation if I have ended up with a huge external haemorrhoid. I don't have a check up for 7 more weeks. I would love someone who's been in the same boat with swelling to talk about their experience.

Keep us in the loop, Fiona and everyone else!

• Posted

Yes my swelling is worse than before the op but I know it can take months to go down. I'm just so releived to be pain free so am not panicking too much about the swelling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.