Haemophilus influenza

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been told i either have asthma or bronchiectasis i dont think they can make their mind up. 

I have had loads of chest infections over the last 3 years and now through a sputum test i have had haemophilus influenza for the last 5 weeks i am on course 6 of antibiotics. (1 of amoxicillan 4 doxycycline and now amoxiclav.) 

I just feel like it will never end. So tired coughing and very emotional. The doctor says next step is hospital admission. Has anyone else been admitted with this?.

I  feel so bad having to be off work so much.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie yes I have been in hospital with it as it turned to psuedomas pnemonia. But most the time you can control infections with antibiotics at home . Have you had a CT scan yet ? As this will confirm if you have bronchiectas or not. The cough is part of the condition unfortunately but you will be shown how to bring up the mucus with physio. Hope that you feel much better soon 
    • Posted

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for replying.

Yeah I had a CT it came back clear but that was a while back before I got my sputum test back and confirmed large amounts of haemophilus.

I have had about 20+ courses of antibiotics in the last 2 and a half years and about 15 courses of steroids. Now I have this.

Feels like it's never ending . X

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I was diagnosed only 4 weeks ago by ct scan. On 7th course of antibiotics in as  many months . Also get really down but I am doing positive thinking, holistic therapy and self healing. Lots of books and you tube .  Keep positive. It is hard xx
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I've had HI in my sputum in 2015 now it's back. Then I was like you, course after course of antibos.

It started showing again at the beginning of this year. They hit it with antibos again but not much happened. I ended up being hospitalized in September for 10 day intravenous co-amoxiclav.

They also had me on a nebuliser four times a day and carbocisteine three times a day.

Since coming out they've left me on the carbocisteine which has helped with the sputum thickness and getting it up easier.

But within two weeks I had another infection.

After the amount of time I've had off work, I'm hanging by a thread after 23 year of being there. They're waiting to see if the consultant will remove my collapsed part of my lung, that, in me, is where the HI resides, if not then I'm out of work. I've another CT scan and another lung function test in my near future lol.

The tiredness is what comes hand in hand with this disease. Also emotions run high.

I've finally given in after 14 yrs and I'm being referred to a counselor, after the stuff we go through it is advisable.

Please do not fret about work, there is nothing you can do about giving in to this thing.

The tiredness, well it means you need to stop for a while and try and recharge yourself. If you check the threads I think you'll see it's the main moan we all have.

We all try to keep our 'happy' on, but some days you just have to say f$%& it and sit or lie down and rest lol.

I hope you feel better soon.

Gail.

• Posted

What I did mean to put, with work don't worry about it as it's taken nearly 14 yrs for me to get to this stage.

If my lungs taken out, I maybe fine to go back.

So again try not to worry about them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.