Haemorragic ovarian cyst??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all!

I went to hospital with suspected appendicitis two weeks ago. They ruled it out but the pain didn’t subside. It didn’t get any worse either. 

Another trip to GP and on to hospital revealed a small (3cm) cyst vis ultrasound - either haemorragic or an endometrioma. 

The doctors consider that a haemorragic cyst is more likely as I’ve never had any endometriosis symptoms. Also, timing of the cyst would be in line with it being created at ovulation.  I have a follow up ultrasound in four weeks time. 

They told me pain should subside within 10 days or during my period. They also indicated that a cyst of this size shouldn’t really be causing issues. 

Two weeks have now passed and I’ve also had my period. The pain might be a little better - but not noticeably so. Perhaps simply less frequent- but just as painful when it occurs. It’s a combination of quite intense period-like cramping, with some intermittent, sharper pains 

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does the ongoing pain indicate that the cyst hasn’t gone away? Or does the recovery also cause similar pain? 

I’m due to ovulate in another week or so.... usually pretty regular... does anyone know if the cyst is likely to get bigger as a consequence of ovulation?

Should I be asking for more to be done? Finding it a bit tough to function fully... not sure if I’m being unreasonable but I’d quite like another ultrasound over the next week or so if symptoms don’t improve. I’m in the UK but would happily pay for a scan myself to get some answers comfort. 

Also ... any tips for managing the pain?

Thank you!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I went through similar situation.  Unfortunately  I ended up having surgery to remove cyst which was hemorrhagic, ovary and tube.   Mine was a blood cyst also I have endometriosis.   I am a week post op and all the pain I had prior to sx. Is gone but I’m very sore at the incision.   I did have intermittent pain at the cyst for months my dr said it was probably there for months.   But it got to the point where  I couldn’t walk and the pain I thought was my appendix.  But mine also had intermittent twisting.   Trust me you will know if it gets bad .Sometimes they go away on their own.  So that’s why they wait in between hopefully it will go away good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Missy. I’m sorry you’re still sore after your operation - hope that settles soon. I’m glad your previous pain has gone. 

Can I ask- did your cyst grow over the period you were in pain? My understanding is that my cyst is not big enough at 3cm to be twisting round my ovary.... so I’m thinking that the worst pain I will get is due to rupture.... unless it grows!

Get well soon!

• Posted

My dr said I probably had my cyst for a long time and I believe that.  For years I would get occasional pain by my ovary (annoying stabbing) pain, but then it would go away for months and then return.   I didn’t get the severe pain until it twisted my ovary and I couldn’t walk.  I think mine gradually grew slowly over months to years.  It didn’t grow that much from the time my pain started to surgery.  The reason why doctors wait is because it is very common for cysts to go away on their own.  Hope that helped

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.