Haemorrhoidectomy after failed rubber banding. -Recovery Help Pls!

Posted , 5 users are following.

33yo F, Australia. No children. 17 March I had rubber band ligation on stage 3-4 internal haemorrhoids. 4 bands were placed. Recovery from this procedure was an absolute walk in the park. However on 21 Mar I had a terrible inflammation/ thrombosed external haemorrhoid rear it's head. (This had always been the one causing me problems) after revisiting my colorectal surgeon from the original procedure on 22 Mar it was determined a full haemorrhoidectomy was required to fix my problem. Due to clots not dissolving I was admitted to surgery again on 28 Mar for this procedure. Now 11 Apr I'm 2wks post op. No blood in stool, and external healing up nicely. While the agony of that first week or so is now behind me, I'm still having issues with pain after BM's, (twice a day) and convinced I still have haemorrhoids as I am struggling to be on my feet for nothing but short periods of time. Please tell me, is this normal? I'm normally a very healthy, active person and being off my feet for so long is now really starting to get me down. I have follow up booked with surgeon on 28 Apr. How much more of this is there? When will the pain stop? Help!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

EDIT: Haemorrhoidectomy was cut/ stitch. I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have on my experience so far with either procedure.

• Posted

Hi,

I've recently had a haemorrhoidectomy in AUS (Melbz) through the public system. Did you follow all of the post-op advice? ie taking lots of laxatives to get those bowels moving? Did you get the nurse at home service for 3 days after your op?

The nurses at home people who visited me post surgery advised me to go straight to my GP if there were any issues (ie bleeding or extreme pain).

If you're in Melbourne send me a private message and I can recommend you the colo-rectal surgeon I saw prior to the surgery.

• Posted

Thanks so much!

I'm in Sydney.

Followed every after procedure direction to the letter. Movicol twice daily and Metamucil. No issues with BM's as far as stools go, and food intake is my usual clean fresh meat & produce. I don't consume much, if any processed foods, or additives.

You got a nurse?! First procedure was public, second was private. I had to rely on my boyfriend, who deserves full credit for being amazing during this time for me.

Returned to work yesterday (finally!) still not 100%, about 90% I'd say. Majority of the time I'm ok, but still have the discomfort with BM's which lingers for a few hours after. I was 3 weeks post op yesterday.

• Posted

I didn't get a permanent nurse, but had the 'nurse at home' service which involved a nurse visiting me to check how I was going once a day for 3 days post surgery. Visits were only for about 15 minutes each time so I'd say as long as you were following the directions you were given then you didn't miss out on much! Good to have someone to ask question to though.

I reckon recovery is personal - I think my recovery was quicker than most.

• Posted

Just also wanted to add... You said you still feel like you have haemorrhoids. Honestly I still have the 'haemorrhoid' feeling, ie it feels the same in some ways as before. For me though key difference is I don't notice them walking around or when going to the bathroom. I do though still get similar feelings in that area to before, not sure if they're phantom or real though tbh - Will know for sure in about 6 months time!

• Posted

The fundamental problem is with the food we take. More water, fiber rich, with fruits and veggies will make your stool smooth and semi solid. Once its semi solid, even with a small cavity it will come out. Again the pressure we are giving to evacuate will also bulge the veins. So give zero pressure to evacuate and natural mecanism is to evacuate with out pressure. When my wift goes for Poo she evacuate with in 30 seconds and come out of the toilet in a minute time and some people take time which create problem to anus. So google how to practice a healty diet , will solve the issue.

We had a poor habit of so many years and its not easy to change over night.

I had a same problem but with my life style change its better now. But still i am making the old mistakes every year and try to adjust the food habit to better way , is keeping me to balance instead of going for operation..I really don't know about the operation and many articles suggest not to go for operation .

• Posted

Thanks Rajas.

Followed every after procedure direction to the letter. Movicol twice daily and Metamucil. No issues with BM's as far as stools go, and food intake is my usual clean fresh meat & produce. I don't consume much, if any processed foods, or additives.

• Posted

Once the stool is smooth then slowly the problem should come back to normal. Try Homeopathy treament once Its very effective and no side effects and it can go hand in hand with Allopathy medicine also. I Never try allopathy and always with Homeo. Again a simple rule is For evacuation we have to push and piles patient have to pull the piles while evacuating. So both reation should go simultaniously. Other wise don't give push while evacuating and pull your anus while evacuating. Try this practice. Normally doctors advice to do pulling exercise when we are free, Pull the anal mussels and strengthen the veins as an exercise. So the same thing do while evacuating..Its really working for me and when i said the procedure to the doctro she was astonished and she said she will also recommend to all her patients...

Amazing result.

• Posted

Hi EmBem 1983,

Im 55yo M in Sydney. Fit active and not overweight. I had my hem op on 6/4/17. So im about 9 days behind you in recovery. I had 2 lge internal hems surgically removed. I suffered foom extreme pain for the first 10 days. I followed all post op recommendations and I was taking every pain med that I could. I had regular soft bms even though I was hardly eating anything and the pain during and immediately after bms was excruciating. I lost 5kg in the 1st 10 days. I went back to work after 10 days but have struggled ever since. Im at day 17 post op now and still having pain (moderate) during bms and this pain doesn't go away for about 4 hours. Im using a hemorroid cream to ease the external inflammation that I didn't ever have prior to the operation but I'm off all pain meds now. I am also struggling with fatigue and still having at least 3 half hour long baths a day to help sooth. Im hoping things will improve soon but I feel like my recovery is going nowhere. I hope that your recovery is going well. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

Please try with Homeopathy once , Allopathy and Homeopathy treatment can go hand in hand. Normally for bleeding piles they have a very good medicine. Its based on Sulphur i think i am not sure. I am sure you will get a cure.. Last week i had a bleeding and i took homeo and with in 2 days it became normal. Curing the wound takes time so your case may take little longer. If you can get medicine from India then i can suggest the doctor and he can send by couriour but i feel your local homeo can do well..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.