haemorrhoidectomy healing time

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.

So I had my haemorrhoidectomy procedure done on 27th September. Caught 3 infections but they are all cleared up now. Been to the doctors and hospital plenty of times as I'm in still in pain but they say it looks to be healing well. Has anyone had this problem? Suffered my whole life with piles, don't still want to be in pain when they are not even there anymore!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

hey Lou. I was on the 23rd oct. worse pain ever right? I'm more or less healed but it did not heal as expected. it still looks bad. 😦 however it's only cosmetic because the issues i had before have all subsided. i was bleeding for months before and it has stopped. hope the pain eases and you're back to yourself soon! you're not alone and as all things else..... this too passes. k

• Posted

It was the most awful experience of my life was this operation. The pain after was so brutal. I nearly passed out using the toilet, bet the whole street could hear my screams!

How are you feeling now? Are you in any pain?

• Posted

hi Lou101,

trust me you're not alone, i was in the same situation last year, it took me almost 7 months to feel normal again, i had my op in August last year and i felt exactly how you are feeling right now, just have faith that this time will pass.

Now i don't even remember how bad it was. I do take extra care with my food and water intake, i eat lots of fiber and don't let myself get constipated at any cost.

Hang in there, this horrible period will be over soon.

take care xx

• Posted

I was wishing I never had it done. As its healed so doctors can't understand why I'm in pain. It's nothing like after, that pain was brutal but it's definitely still there. I went to the doctors and the nurse said the pain was all in my head so that nurse is getting reported! I struggle with constipation badly so I've had a fair few times there has been blood. I was ill on boxing day and ended up with diarrhea (tmi) ha. But that has made the pain worse. Sat waiting for my laxido to kick in now. 😣 I just want to feel normal again and no pain like other people. Fed up now

• Posted

U must try and find a balance of laxatives that works for you, it took me a while so i was either constipated or having diarrhea which really makes things worse. I strongly suggest that you drink plenty of water and have lots of fiber in ur food.

I am taking resolor tablet, movicol 2 sachets and fybogel 1 sachet per day till date, you might as well ask your gp for resolor, it helps with gut movements and saves u from straining. movicol is same as laxido . you can try fybogel too, its high in fiber

and yes please make sure u have lots of sitz baths, it helps a lot specially adter bowel movements. i bought a portable bidet from amazon for under £10, such a life saver

• Posted

I got my sitz bath from an elderly website haha. It's deffinately had its uses. Best thing I've bought!

I'm off to the doctors tomorrow for another check so I'll ask them for resolor. How better were you 3 months on? I'd say 60% and it's not budging any day soon

• Posted

yes i would say i was 60 to 70% better by 3 months, but then i got badly constipated in the 4th month due to some medications change and it kind of brought me back to square 1 😦

Lesson learnt the hardest way in the form of fissure. Ever since i take extra care with my diet and regularly take laxatives.

Are you applying anything topically? i use dermol 500 lotion as soap for washing, really helps.

• Posted

I've been using sudocrem, metanium and numbing gel they gave me.

Took some laxatives tonight and it made it loose but I still have to strain to get it out always.

I've had 7 anal fissures along with the banding surgery before they finally decided to do the haemorrhoidectomy and I had a fissure this time. The hospital gave me no discharge notes or anything so when I went to see him in bad pain after he said he'd done an anal stretch for my fissure. News to me. So I'm scared I have another fissure from the straining. I went to the doctors yesterday and she said it's all healing well but it's very red and sore still and said I think you need a camera inside because clearly your still in pain with something. So I've got to try get hold of the hospital now. My old consultant has signed me off so I'm under another consultant about my bowels as my pelvic floor muscles push down when I use the toilet causing it to block, she wants to try physio?? So not best pleased with that idea. Not sure how physio on your bowels helps the straining. Still waiting for a letter, went to see her about June! Doctor said I do have skin tags but no piles externally thank goodness.

• Posted

Hey lou!

I'm only 14 days post op and the pain is so bad. I managed to get a fissure Saturday unfortunately and have been using suppositories since to help with the pain which makes having BMs more tolerable. How was your pain at 14 days? I feel as though I'll never get better. That ripping, burning, horrible feeling during a BM is just not going away and the outside STINGS! I'm so sorry that you are still experiencing pain!!! I feel like all we can do is just wait and wait.

• Posted

I was in bad pain up until about 5/6 weeks but I managed to get 3 infections! I maybe think I have another fissure as the doctor has had another look and said it's all healed pretty much. Praying it heals over but my luck isn't great. This is my 8th operation but had the banding done 7 times which never worked permanently. So far so good with the haemroidoctomy. It's a long road to recovery, it really is tough. I'd have times where I'd sit and cry. Try using ice packs and hot water bottles. I've only recently gone back to work and I've been using heat pads/freeze pads, you can get them in supermarkets. I get the adhesive ones and keep them in my underwear. The hot/cold last for around 8 hours, it doesn't help massively but gives a little relief. And get some sudocrem, thats for your open wounds and it has some antiseptic in it too.

I thought i was going to pass out with the pain when I had bowel movements, one of the worst pains I've been in. I get constipated and used to dread going. It was infecting my wounds every time. After about 3 weeks the pain died down when I went to the toilet, just make sure it's soft.

Hope you start to feel better

• Posted

Fun fact I passed out a couple of times during my BMs at the beginning of recovery. I'm still using the suppository until Monday. The left side never hurt but yesterday my mom put it in for me (because I am way too afraid to do it myself) and I swear I think she may have messed up the wound near it or it ripped me to shreds lol. Today's BM i definitely felt a little pain on the left side which upset me. I'll be 3 weeks on Monday so hopefully the pain during BM subsides. I have not left my house as yet and it is quite depressing. Definitely getting that burning feeling after a BM so I speed walk to the sitz bath. My doctor keeps telling me that I do not need any creams and the wound will heal all on its own. So before a BM to help a bit I use vaseline and it works like 85%. I just need the inside to heal! WORSE THAN CHILDBIRTH FOR SURE!

• Posted

Sorry, didn't remember saying use the sudacrem before. I've been taking a laxido every day and that has helped my BMs be soft. But I have lots of wind with it!

• Posted

I'm actually a lot better. Tuesday I had a painless BM. Ive been eating a bit more though so now my BM are like a 2/10 in terms of pain which I can handle for now. I'm still eating a lot of fiber which helps keep things soft. Tons of water. It's just that aching feeling all day after a BM is what I hate. But I can finally say peanut butter cream of wheat is now my new favourite thing to eat haha.

• Posted

I got given a numbing cream to use before a BM. I've got about 150 of these, no joke! Use sudacrem as it is an anti septic and it's designed to use on wounds. Apparently my wounds have healed so they don't know why I'm in pain!

• Posted

Oh I have piles back. Lasted 4 months. So upset about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.